PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on creating a jig for water bottles?

Chuck Patterson
02-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Can anyone assist me with ideas or suggestions on how to create a jig to hold water bottles on the table? Would like to load the machine with 3-5 (or more if possible) instead of doing one at a time on the rotary. I seem to be struggling a bit here and just can not get my head wrapped around it.

Mark Sipes
02-17-2014, 11:10 PM
If the bottle requires Text or Graphic to be printed on the circumference, then rotary is the only way. If printing on the Longitude and still maintaining beam integrity you are limited to what the laser can print while staying in focus 1/16 -1/8 curvature on circumference.

I use blocks of wood cut with a V in them to keep the bottles (bats, drumsticks, chop sticks) from moving (rolling) during printing.

Keith Upton
02-18-2014, 9:45 AM
You can use Legos to build a table for them. These larger Duplo blocks work really well and cost about $0.05 each online.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=282691&d=1392652221

Bill Stearns
02-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Chuck -
I often laser engrave glassware (wine glasses, beer mugs, etc.) Used to use kids PlayDoe to create a holding "mold". ugh! I came across this wonderful device that holds (many) styles of glassware - one-at-a-time - and may be of help to you. Basically, it is a stainless "V-shaped" item - cushioned within the "V", for grip I suppose. Sold by a company called Martronics Corporation in Salkum, Washington. I simply align one, or more, of the holders next to each other, when doing a number of glasses. (now, I don't cringe, when a customers ask to have their glassware engraved! (Hope this helps.) ('ll be happy to post a photo of the device, if it would help - just ask.)

Bill - Great Engravings

Chuck Patterson
02-20-2014, 12:56 AM
Thank you everyone for your ideas, suggestions, and cautions.

I use Playdoe on occasions. It is cheap and easy to work with. I never though of using lego's. Maybe I will give that a try?

Patrick Licata
02-21-2014, 6:33 PM
Bill,If you would post a picture and model name/number that would be great.Thanks

Bill Stearns
02-21-2014, 9:53 PM
Patrick -
For standard glassware engraving I was using kids PlayDoe molds - Legos - blocks 'n all the rest mentioned by others. (all work okay.) Then, 'bout year 'go I stumbled across this device - called a Universal Glass Holder. (will attempt to attach a photo.) The company is Martronics Corporation - Salkum WA. Very difficult finding this item on their site; they apparently sell so much other stuff - incl. knife 'n glassware engraving machines. (etch-o-matics?) Was 'bout ready to give up searching for you, when I found the info: - attaching site: http://www.glass-etching-kits.com/wine-glass-etching.htm. Ran me $29.95 ea. plus $10.68 shipping. (hope this'll help you, as it sure has me!)
ALSO, even better! I had asked the forum earlier if there was anything such as a "universal holder" on the market for "odd shaped items" - in my case different shaped knives. Learned 'other day that Rowmark is now marketing an incredible product called RackStar! - a device you set into your machine - easily holds any number of items, no matter what shape! - solves the "odd shaped items" problem for good! Encourage you to look in to it! Hope this info helps!

Bill

Mark Sipes
02-22-2014, 8:09 PM
The Rack Star... looks like someone at Rowmark was reading the forum taking notes on the discussion about pin-tables.....with fixtures

http://www.rackstarlasersystem.com/images/rs/pics/slide-1.jpghttp://www.rackstarlasersystem.com/images/rs/pics/slide-5.jpg

Bill Stearns
02-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Hey All -
Yea, Mark - Those are pictures of the RackStar device I was talking 'bout earlier! - There are other detailed photos to be found on the Rowmark site; even a video. You would not believe (or, maybe you would) the amount of time 'n effort I've put into trying to figure out ways to securely hold a quantity of "odd shaped items" for laser engraving. I've talked with the folks 'bout RackStar, and they are incredibly helpful ....

Bill

Dan Hintz
02-23-2014, 11:46 AM
I saw the Rackstar setup at NBM last year... it's a really nice setup, but the price made me quite uncomfortable. I think starting price was around the $1k mark, with fixtures adding to it. My suggestion to them was to add free software templates for the fixtures they sold (kind of like Avery supplies Word templates for their various paper products, like tear-your-own business cards, mailing labels, etc.)... my guess is they will add them to the lineup and would make they cost slightly less painful.

Kev Williams
02-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Some of the 'junk' I have kicking around that I use almost daily:

--about 30 2" wide x 13" long x 3/8" tall anodized aluminum bars a customer left here years ago- much of the bar is machined out so they're light-- I use them as spacer shims for everything. Being exactly 2" wides makes offsetting the home position easy...

--several pieces of thin-wall 1" steel square tube, in different lengths. These work for spacers, shims for clamping tall items, etc...

--lots of cardboard. I keep any good un-bent cardboard I find, great for shipping flimsy stuff in padded envelopes-- and I use lots of cardboard in the laser.

--lots of scrap plexiglas...

I do glasses and goblets quite often. If the engraving permits not rotating the glass, then what I'll do is cut V-notches in a couple of 3" or so tall strips of cardboard. One strip for the top of the glass, one strip for the bottom. A little time with a ruler determines the depth/width of each V-notch to keep the surface level. Whatever the max diameter of the glasses (say, 3") I'll go to the next 1/4" (3-1/4") and cut each notch that far apart. Then I double-back tape each notch strip to the side of a 1" square tube, making sure to align all left edges. Using my aluminum spacers, I'll place a couple at the top ruler on the laser table, then the tube with the upper notches, then whatever spacers needed, then the tube with the bottom notches. When I'm satisfied with the setup, I'll tape the square tubes to the table so they won't move. Now I can hold as many glasses as I made notches, usually 4 to 6 across. I know (in this example) they're 3-1/4" apart so the X axis matrix will be easy. My spacers are all parallel so I know they're running horizontally in-line. Vertical alignment with stemware is easy, straight glasses I usually just use a 2x4 for a stop, or just 'eyeball'.

Costs nothing other than a few minutes time. Rarely these types of jobs are repeat, so cardboard works great. If the job is going to repeat, I'll make the notch strips out of plex instead of cardboard...