PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Box - Sapele/ebony - Finishing help

Jon Olson
06-17-2005, 9:59 AM
I'm finishing up a memorial box for my Brother who passed two weeks ago.

The box is Sapele (African Mohagony) and ebony (accents).

Was wondering what would be the best finish. the finish needs to be great for indoor display and then for outdoor elements (not direct) - it will be sealed in a memorial wall.

I was think of a blo/poly/tung oil mix but maybe a simple oil wipe with a seal coat might be better. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

thanks,

Jon

Jim Becker
06-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Were it me, I'd prefer the rich, soft look of an oil followed lightly waxed and buffed "finish the finish". I find this much more appealing than something "shiny". The teak container that Dr. SWMBO's parents are interred in an Arlington National was finished this way to the best of my knowlege. It was a container that was in the family since the early 60s when they lived for a time in Thailand. We just cleaned it up before putting it to its eternal use.

Michael Stafford
06-17-2005, 10:48 AM
I like the BLO/varnish/tung oil mix if it is thinned down considerably and applied in several thin coats, wiping off the excess and buffing dry. Then buff it out with the Beall system foregoing the wax at the end.

Of course, an oil finish buffed and waxed is hard to beat on an item that is going to be infrequently handled. Gives wonderful depth of finish...

Todd Burch
06-17-2005, 10:56 AM
I would lean towards the BLO followed by a brushed varnish - 3 coats - first one thinned a bit with mineral spirits. It's a 4 day process.

Adam Howard
06-21-2005, 7:00 AM
My finish of choice on boxes is spit shellac, then tung/blo/poly 1:1:1 for about 3-4 coats.

Take a 1# cut of shellac. When it dries (few hours), buff down with 0000 steel wool. Then apply the poly mix in a thin coat. Wait about 30 minutes, then wipe clean with a cotton cloth (t-shirt). Wait 24 hours for re-application. Do that 3-4 times, and it will be well protected and very touchable.