PDA

View Full Version : Source for 60 Watt G Weike or compatible tube side case (converting from 40 Watt)

Jonathan Bowen
02-17-2014, 7:40 PM
Anyone know were I can get a side case or whatever you call it to convert from 40 watts to 60 watts? I could build my own I guess but I'd at least like to see the price on getting on in the states. I could probably order direct but they don't list it on their site.

Hurricane (now World Lasers LLC) probably isn't going to replace my faulty tube that was probably fried from their screwed up power supply. 2 tubes in 1.5 years. I'm estimating less then 500 hours on both of them. So I need to get another one. However the power supply I was recently forced to buy is capable of powering a 60 Watt tube. I'm trying to figure out what the best course of action is and if upgrading to a 60 watt is worth it. I've heard an argument for going all the way to 80 watts but I just bought this power supply and don't fancy getting another one just yet. However, I need a way to protect the longer tube.

Dan Hintz
02-17-2014, 8:38 PM
Unless someone has an extra scrap parts machine, I doubt you'll find that part itself for sale locally. It would likely be faster (and cheaper, when you consider overseas shipping) to just have a local machine shop fab one up in 30 minutes out of sheet metal... any shop with a press brake should be able to do it.

Jonathan Bowen
02-17-2014, 8:43 PM
Hurricane might sell me one. Larry said they might have a few laying around but it might be cheaper still to get one made or have one shipped over then to buy from them. I'll have to take some measurements and maybe make some calls to see what the damage is. I might poke around on the local makerspace site to see if anyone has a brake and wants to make a bit of cash also. If I go custom then I might go ahead and incorporate some sort of stand or at least mounts to attach some wood for a computer mount. Would make moving the setup easier when I have to work on it.

Bob A Miller
02-17-2014, 9:04 PM
I think when I asked Gwieke at the time they said $50... If ordered when you bought the machine.

Bruce Dorworth
02-17-2014, 9:30 PM
Jonathan, where are you located. Rabbit is located in Ohio I believe and Light Objects is in Sacramento. Either one of them would probably have access to something like that.

Bruce

Jonathan Bowen
02-17-2014, 9:51 PM
I'm in Pensacola. I might email them both. I was thinking of getting my tube from light objects. The power supply was purchased from them.

Dave Sheldrake
02-18-2014, 8:50 AM
Make one from 6mm acrylic Jon, just be sure to add a copper earth strap so the HV has somewhere to go in the event of tube failure. I have an acrylic one on my 180 watt tube that sticks out by 300mm!

cheers

Dave

Jonathan Bowen
02-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Hmm. I bet the tube will fit through the access panel on the end of the 40 watt one. Then I can just build a shorter case on the outside that straps onto the existing one. If I do one out of acrylic then I'll need to change my setup again. It's too close to the wall right now. I don't want to break it while rotating the frame or anything. I really need to change my setup and maybe move the exhaust fan outside or something. I need to get more slack in my power, air, and exhaust connections so it can be moved easier for maintenance. Right now the exhaust fan is sitting on the back of the frame attached to a board so I have the inlet and outlet hoses tangled in the back.

Dave Sheldrake
02-18-2014, 9:56 PM
like this

so long as its covered and you have an earth strap you will be fine

cheers

Dave