PDA

View Full Version : New engraver Purchase Inquiry and Opinions (Mfg List?)

Antonio Robbins
02-17-2014, 7:24 PM
I'm looking to purchase a new Laser engraver; I've been looking at a few companies, but few actually provide a price list (Which makes me more leery of buying something over the web.)

I'll be doing the usual; plastic, wood, anodized, etc. (IF there is a way to use a lower cost unit to cut metal I'd like to know!)
I also want to do glasses and mugs, so I'm planning on getting a rotary attachment.

I'm looking at a low cost machine... as low as possible. I don't know exactly how much I'll be running it, but I simply can't afford a higher priced machine.
The machines listed are what I'm looking at now; if you know of any other low cost machines please tell me!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is what I'd be getting with it if not already included:

- 45 watt; 50 if available for the right price
- 1.5" focus attachment
- beam combiner
- compressor
- Rotary Attachment
- honeycomb cutting table

(I'd get a wet vac to use on a
---------------------------------------------

The following machines are what I've found so far and may consider:

Trotec Speedy 100 Laser
~ $???

Trotec Speedy 100 flexx - whats the big difference? How thick of metal can it cut, or could someone point out the major difference for me?

Trotec -- Rayjet 300
~ $???

Full Spectrum Laser - 45W CO2 Hobby Laser (5th gen)
~ $3800 (inc items at top of page)
-- Rotary attachment looks like a hack: can you do oddly shapes glasses or shot glasses with it?

http://www.rabbitlaserusa.com/
-- RL-40-6040 or RL-60-9060
~ $6,000+ (OK so no longer on my list, but I expect people to recommended them, so putting them here.)

Glen Monaghan
02-17-2014, 8:21 PM
Well, if a $6K Rabbit laser is off your list due to high price, you should never have included all those Trotec models!

Dan Hintz
02-17-2014, 8:32 PM
Well, if a $6K Rabbit laser is off your list due to high price, you should never have included all those Trotec models!

^^^ Agreed. If you think $6k is out of your range, then you're stuck with Chinese systems only.

I'd pick up a 2" lens over the 1.5"... more versatile and a wider focal range. I won't say anything about FSL other than to offer my personal opinion of "stay as far away as humanly possible"... if you want to know more, do a search here. Rabbit is my suggestion... they used to sell smaller machines, like the one you picked from FSL, but my guess is there was little call for them (they're not flexible enough for most).

If you're struggling with $6k, I also wouldn't suggest even thinking twice about cutting metal. Even a Chinese fiber system will set you back close to $20k, and you'll not be doing any serious cutting with it.

Bert Kemp
02-17-2014, 9:23 PM
You can look at the Automation Technology lasers there like $3200, 60watt decent size bed . There Chinese imports but there not a bad machine from what I hear. I agree with everyone else here to stay away from Full Spectrum.If you can't get a Rabbit, then take a look at Auto Tech. Oh your not going to cut any metal with a 40 watt co2.

Antonio Robbins
02-17-2014, 10:02 PM
^^^ Agreed. If you think $6k is out of your range, then you're stuck with Chinese systems only.

I'd pick up a 2" lens over the 1.5"...

Rabbit is my suggestion...

If you're struggling with $6k, I also wouldn't suggest even thinking twice about cutting metal.

Trotec: I couldn't find any price listed for the Trotec engravers, so you've given me an ideal on why.

Rabbit: I'd love to get one, but again it's an issue of price; I can only do what I can afford. :)

Lens: I'd get both- 1.5" and 2"; I have a project in mind that would need the higher detail for smaller text and images.

Metal: I figured as such, but didn't find too much detail on the cost difference, especially with how the Trotec Speedy 100 flexx does both... but again, it didn't have a price listed. :P

Automation Technology lasers - Thanks for pointing them out- do you have one of theirs, and if so does it give you trouble?

I see they've got a 35 watt for $2300 and 50 watt for $3,000 and includes most the other items I read was necessary.
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/35w-co2-laser-machine-19-7%E2%80%B3-x-11-8%E2%80%B3
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/co2-laser-engraving-machine-with-autofocus-50w-20%E2%80%B3-x-12%E2%80%B3

Dan Hintz
02-18-2014, 6:01 AM
Trotec: I couldn't find any price listed for the Trotec engravers, so you've given me an ideal on why.
Except for the Chinese resellers, you won't find any manufacturers listing pricing on the web. This is somewhat of a niche market (compared to something like a car or a cellphone), so there's no need to compete on that level.

Rabbit: I'd love to get one, but again it's an issue of price; I can only do what I can afford. :)

Lens: I'd get both- 1.5" and 2"; I have a project in mind that would need the higher detail for smaller text and images.
Are you absolutely sure you need that level of detail? I doubt most realize what a 2" is capable of until they see it for themselves...

Metal: I figured as such, but didn't find too much detail on the cost difference, especially with how the Trotec Speedy 100 flexx does both... but again, it didn't have a price listed. :P
Figure on a minimum of $30k added to the price of a combo machine if you want a fiber laser in the mix... and that's enough power to engrave only at 20W. Cutting (at an extremely slow rate) doesn't really come into effect until you're a couple of hundred Watts, and at that point you'd have to mortgage your house. Pricing for increases in fiber power don't follow the same schedule CO2 power increases do these days.

Automation Technology lasers - Thanks for pointing them out- do you have one of theirs, and if so does it give you trouble?

I see they've got a 35 watt for $2300 and 50 watt for $3,000 and includes most the other items I read was necessary.
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/35w-co2-laser-machine-19-7%E2%80%B3-x-11-8%E2%80%B3
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/co2-laser-engraving-machine-with-autofocus-50w-20%E2%80%B3-x-12%E2%80%B3

Jerome Stanek
02-18-2014, 7:17 AM

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/co2-laser-engraving-machine-with-autofocus-50w-20%E2%80%B3-x-12%E2%80%B3[/QUOTE]

I have one of their 60 watt units and it does a very good job. I did have a controller go out but they replaced it and I was only down 1 full day called them on Tuesday at 3 pm and had the part Thursday morning I did have to pick it up or it woul have been delivered at 5pm.

Bert Kemp
02-18-2014, 9:45 PM
If you go for the cheaper smaller machines you will kick yourself later, you'll wish you had a bigger bed and more power just ask anybody, LOL For the small difference in price's on the Automation Tech machines If theres any way possible at least get the 60 watt.

Antonio Robbins
02-22-2014, 3:55 PM
Thanks again for all the info!

Am I missing the focus lens size for the 60 watt?
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/co2-laser-engraving-machine-60w

Jerome Stanek: Thanks, it is good to hear they provide good support!
How is their LaserWork software to work with and if you use CorelDraw, can you export and load a file without having to rearrange or correct it? (I've used a ULS VLS2.30 before and thought it was easy to use if you're familiar with their software.)