PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Bag "Tape"

Stew Hagerty
02-17-2014, 4:16 PM
Ok...
I give up. How the check do you get the sticky black "tape" off the vacuum bag? Without damaging the bag, that is.
This was my first veneer attempt and I think it turned out pretty good.

However, now that it is done I want to remove the old tape. I know it said it is reusable, but it didn't come off all on one side, plus I read where you can actually seal the bag without it (if I'm wrong about that, please let me know).
I'm using one of those skateboard bag kits from Lee Valley. I figured it was an inexpensive way to get my glue spreader wet in veneering. And the projects that I initially have it in mind for are all small. It worked very well. I sucked it down using my Fein Turbo II, and it stayed without any apparent loss of vacuum for just over 24 hours.
Now I just need to know how to remove that sticky black stuff and I'll be very happy.

Mike Henderson
02-17-2014, 8:07 PM
What's that tape used for? To seal the bag? There are much better bag closures. The best I found is the piece of PVC pipe and a "C" tube. Most vacuum bag sellers sell the set, and one set usually comes with the bag. Check with Joe Woodworker - I know he sells them.

A vacuum cleaner does not really pull a hard vacuum.

Mike

Don Kondra
02-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Lacquer thinner works well.

With proper ventilation of course :)

Cheers, Don

Stew Hagerty
02-19-2014, 3:23 PM
Lacquer thinner works well.

With proper ventilation of course :)

Cheers, Don

And the lacquer thinner won't damage the bag? I didn't try it because it eats most plastics.

Greg Wease
02-19-2014, 6:53 PM
Yeah, that tape sucks. I have used one of these a couple of times and ended up cutting off the end of the bag to get rid of the tape residue. I sandwiched the end of the bag between two thin strips of wood, folded it over and secured with a few spring clamps. I used a shopvac to evacuate most of the air but you need to use the syringe that comes with the kit to get adequate pressure. If you want to check the pressure (sure would be nice to have a vacuum gauge) put a small stack of veneer in the bag and bend it to a right angle while you draw the vacuum. If it holds the bend you'll know the pressure is adequate.

You might try Goof-off to clean off the tape residue rather than a more caustic chemical.

Don Kondra
02-20-2014, 12:01 PM
And the lacquer thinner won't damage the bag? I didn't try it because it eats most plastics.

Not enough to matter, you're not soaking it in thinner. Just a rag dampened with it...

Cheers, Don

Stew Hagerty
02-20-2014, 3:57 PM
Not enough to matter, you're not soaking it in thinner. Just a rag dampened with it...

Cheers, Don

OK, thanks Don. I'll give it a try.

Stew Hagerty
02-20-2014, 4:04 PM
Yeah, that tape sucks. I have used one of these a couple of times and ended up cutting off the end of the bag to get rid of the tape residue. I sandwiched the end of the bag between two thin strips of wood, folded it over and secured with a few spring clamps. I used a shopvac to evacuate most of the air but you need to use the syringe that comes with the kit to get adequate pressure. If you want to check the pressure (sure would be nice to have a vacuum gauge) put a small stack of veneer in the bag and bend it to a right angle while you draw the vacuum. If it holds the bend you'll know the pressure is adequate.

You might try Goof-off to clean off the tape residue rather than a more caustic chemical.

I was just doing some quite small flat panels so I think I had enough pressure. It seemed to have worked well anyway. Like I said, I'm just starting. Whenever I decide I want to do anything other than flat panels that will fit in this bag, then I'll opt for a regular Vac System. I'm just a hobbyist, and so far have only been making 8-12 projects per year. I do appreciate any and all advice though. So thank you. Next time I will use the hand pump some once the vacuum has sucked it down as far as it will go.