PDA

View Full Version : Remodeling/design software Mac?

Victor Robinson
02-17-2014, 2:32 PM
I'm thinking about investing in basic remodeling/design/layout software. Something that could assist with basic room configurations and other various remodeling type of jobs. I'm not looking to invest in an expensive architecture/CAD package, or the time to learn how to properly use it. Hoping there are decent options out there for $100-200ish.

I do use Sketchup for woodworking projects, but want something a bit more focused on construction. I have several remodeling projects that this would be used on, and would possibly be used one day on a new home build as well (that last one is a pipe dream right now).

Any recommendations?

Dave Richards
02-17-2014, 2:43 PM
SketchUp would work just fine for what you want to do. It was, after all, originally designed for architects. There are architects using SketchUp to do all the drawings for new construction and remodels.

Rich Enders
02-17-2014, 3:21 PM
Victor,

I understand you do not want a full CAD system, but if that ever changes I want to recommend TurboCad for Mac. It is full 2D/3D CAD design and read software that handles 18 different file types (igs, stp, etc.), is fast enough on my 2012 Mac Air, and sells for $129.99. I repeat $129.99.

Jim Becker
02-22-2014, 3:50 PM
I do that in SketchUp and the "price is right"...

William Adams
02-22-2014, 6:34 PM
I do that in SketchUp and the "price is right"...

Only so long as one isn't charging for one's work:

from http://www.sketchup.com/license/b/sketchup-make

personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to use the executable version of the Software for non-commercial use only. Non-commercial use means: you may not sell, rent, lease or lend the output of the Software or the Services. If you are a for-profit organization of any kind, or an employee of a for-profit organization using the Software or Services in that capacity, you are engaged in commercial activity; therefore, in order to use the Software and Services, you must purchase a SketchUp Pro license.

Dave Richards
02-22-2014, 6:54 PM
The OP already indicated it's for his own projects. :rolleyes:

And for those who use it to make money, there's no reason they shouldn't be using the pro version.

William Adams
02-23-2014, 8:41 AM
And he's never going to sell the house?

A strict reading of the license text requires ``Non-commercial use means: you may not sell, rent, lease or lend the output of the Software or the Services.''

If nothing else, one becomes guilty of a thought-crime --- shades of the BATF's enforcement there.