PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraved Photo Contest - GoPro Video Camera

Keith Outten
02-17-2014, 9:42 AM
Laser Engraving Contest

Starts February 17th, 2014
Ends March 17th, 2014 at midnight EST

Win a GoPro Hero 3+ (Black) HD Video Camera.

What makes this camera attractive is that it has a sealed camera case that is rated for underwater service. It can also be used in a dusty environment, should you decide to do so I expect you could place the camera inside your laser engraver and capture video for your web site.

- All properly registered Members of SawMill Creek Woodworking Forums are eligible to enter this contest. Your username must be your real first and last name.
- Acceptable laser engraving material substrates are wood, marble, granite, any plastic or glass.
- Laser engraved photographs or lithophanes are acceptable as a photo for the purpose of this contest.
- Your submission must be a CO2 generated laser engraved photograph that you have the legal rights to produce and it must be an original photograph that you engraved for this contest.
- You may not enter a picture engraved for a previous project.
- There are no categories or topics, you may select any camera original photograph you have the rights to publish, however you cannot submit a graphic design.
- You may submit only one entry. The topic of your post must include the text "Contest Entry Submittal".
- Your entry must include any and all engraving specifications such as the model of your machine, speed, power, etc.

Moderators and Administrative Staff Members of SawMill Creek or its parent company Northwind Associates Inc are not eligible to enter of win this contest.

Our Moderators will select the top ten submissions on March 18th, 2014. A public poll will then be created on March 19th, 2014 so everyone in our Community will be eligible to vote for the winner. Public voting will be allowed from March 19th 2014 when the poll is posted through March 27th, 2014 at midnight EST.

Mike Null
02-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Heck!!! Just when I was a lock to win that camera.

Dee Gallo
02-18-2014, 1:16 PM
Ha ha, Mike, I guess we are judging after all! Can't wait to see the entries, they will be awe inspiring I'm sure!

Mike Null
02-18-2014, 6:25 PM
Dee
Me too. I'm looking forward to seeing new materials and some special creativity.

Ernie Balch
02-19-2014, 11:53 AM
I like to use Dibond signmaking material for engraving. Is that allowed? ernie

Bert Kemp
02-19-2014, 5:21 PM
Can we assume that Mirror qualify s for Glass???

Keith Outten
02-20-2014, 8:27 AM
Ernie, all of the materials we selected were solids. Dibond is a multi-layer material isn't it?

Bert, mirror is glass so its acceptable.

Ernie Balch
02-20-2014, 9:25 AM
Yes, Dibond is plastic with aluminum cladding and a painted surface. White Dibond makes a nice black mark when engraved. I also like using Rowmark laminated plastic. White with black core works quite well for engraving. Are you limiting the contest to non-laminated solids with no paint fill allowed? ernie

Keith Outten
03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Ernie,

Rowmark plastics are fine.
Paint Filling is also acceptable.

Isaac Clarke
03-03-2014, 6:32 PM
Is slate ok?

Bill Cunningham
03-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Hmmm I'll have to put my thinking cap on...Sounds like a challenge..

Keith Outten
03-04-2014, 9:01 AM
Is slate ok?

Isaac,

We will accept slate.

Isaac Clarke
03-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Thank you :)

Kev Williams
03-07-2014, 9:52 PM
Sorry to keep adding--- how about Stainless steel w/Cermark?

<edit> -- Anodized aluminum?

Keith Outten
03-08-2014, 6:56 AM
Kev,

There are no metal substrates approved for this contest. Maybe in the next one.

Kev Williams
03-08-2014, 7:09 PM
Sounds good! :)

Jerry Honkanen
03-09-2014, 4:11 PM

I'm not sure if this is expectable for the contest and I don't know if I am doing this right. I just finished this for a memorial for a friends Father and thought I would enter it. If this is not what I am suppose to do please inform me and I will enter something else. My laser is home made and with the Mach3 operating system, 3 X 5 foot table. I use BobCad Cam, PEP4 and Paint Shop Pro X5. My CO2 laser is 40 Watts and the laser tube is from Rabbit Laser. The stepper motors are 480 OZ. from Wantimotor - China. The 3D router work was done on a homemade CNC router also Mach3 Steppers 1200 OZ also Wantimotor 4 X 8 foot table. This is a YouTube of my laser while it was being built http://youtu.be/6Dfjw7xRCnY and one of it in operation http://youtu.be/jVSwug2LyK8 I hope I did this right. Please let me know?
I can't get the picture thing to work right.
Jerry Honkanen

Gary Hair
03-10-2014, 4:09 PM
The photo was scanned from the original taken in 1947. There was a lot of touch up and cleanup, all done in photopaint. I used PhotoGRAV 2.xx and tweaked the settings to get it just right. I lasered it onto a 12" x 12" granite tile with my GCC Explorer ZX, 30 watt, 40 ips - I used 100 speed and 40 power, two passes. The engraving was enhanced with silver rub-n-buff. These are my parents so the piece is very special to me.284312

Keith Upton
03-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Are the MDF panels from Michael Kowalczyk allowed?

Mike Null
03-12-2014, 6:52 AM
As far as I know Michael sells Baltic Birch and that's allowed.

Keith Upton
03-12-2014, 12:02 PM
He also sells some 3mm MDF that is coated (white, black, tan/cream, and wood grained) on one side. I asked because while it is a "wood", they have ruled out "multi-layer materials" above... but Rowmark was green lighted as plastic and mirror as glass. Both of those are technically multi-layered as well.

walter hofmann
03-12-2014, 3:57 PM
hi all
here is a litho picture I did last year for a friend , I just 284469did not make a picture from the finished box with the light.

Joseph Belangia
03-13-2014, 7:14 PM
Machine:
Vytek 65-watt FX/2
Settings:
100 Speed, 45 Power
Software:
Photoshop
Photograv
Image:
Camera: Nikon D40 w/18-55 lens
Substrate:
Black Marble
Size:
18" x 24"
Media:
Vanson Oil Base White Undercoat
Vanson Heavy Inks (4-colors)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/jodyb/e9c89d8d-8be1-4c69-b236-72578319b98b.jpg

Keith Outten
03-14-2014, 10:18 AM
I would like to remind everyone that your contest entry has to meet the following criteria:

- Your submission must be a CO2 generated laser engraved photograph that you have the legal rights to produce and it must be an original photograph that you engraved for this contest.
- You may not enter a picture engraved for a previous project.

Laser engraved photographs that you have done for previous jobs will not be accepted.

Ron Fairbanks
03-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Photo was taken Sunday March 16th 2014, in the foothills East of Fresno California by me, using my iphone 4 with no filters.
Corel Draw X4 software was used exclusively applying the "Gold Method" ;) to get the proper digital image.
Engraved on a Dollar Tree mirrored coaster using the Epilog Mini 24 40 watt laser at 25 speed and 100 power single pass and back painted black after engraving.

Keith Outten
03-20-2014, 3:15 PM
I'm terribly sorry for being late setting up the poll for this contest. I had two new sanding machines delivered via tractor trailer Tuesday afternoon, they arrived way ahead of schedule and I have been swamped trying to get the new machines unpacked and setup plus move the old machines out of my shop. I have to keep my shop functioning right now as I have a sign project in progress and another school retro project right behind the first one which is getting close to the deadline. My electrician just left my shop a few minutes ago so I have just a few minutes to eat before I finish the dust collection hookups.

If I owe you a PM or email response to a question I am trying to catch up.....hope everything will be back to normal by this evening.