PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
02-17-2014, 9:25 AM
17 Feb 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
The temps here are warming slightly and all the frozen stuff is gone. The good news I have this week is that my broken shop heater has now been replaced by a used Modine natural gas shop heater. I got it off of a guy at work who listed it on our companies classifieds for $100. It is installed and running and I love this heater!!! It is quiet, more effective, and more efficient than what was in the shop before. I do need to do some vent work but for now, it will do fine until I can get the gas vent properly setup the way I want it.

Haven't had time to work on the LOML Jr's blanket chest because of family, work, and lack of heat in the shop. Now I just need some time to get out there and get busy on it. I've had a defective cutting board that I made come back to me and I need to remake it for my customer. I expect to have that done this week.

Happy president's day to you and may you have a great day today.
That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.

Shawn Pixley
02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Friday was our anniversary, so we hade a nice meal at home after work. It is often a little frantic at restaurant that day so we typically go out a day before or a day later. Saturday I got all my tax stuff together in order to meet with our accountant on Monday. Between times I worked on a few house projects. I had a couple of conference calls for work on one of my projects. So a product but terribly restful weekend.

David Hostetler
02-18-2014, 4:36 PM
Hand delivered a dozen roses to my wonderful bride at work, and then out to a nice steak house for Valentines day dinner. Did far too much running around trying to find the "right" rose bushes she wants put in the yard.

Installed the dust collection riser for the band saw so I don't have to get on the floor to open up the blast gate.

cut and isntalled a shelf of horizontal slats out of plywood scrap onto the workbench.

Measured, re-measured, and still managed to mess up the measurements on my build of the "Sliding Miter Saw dust hood". I only have me to blame, and I am sure the only excuse I can come up with is my brain short circuited... I know what I need to fix, which requires me ripping new frame pieces, and some extension pieces for the top as well.

I did get to use my new to me Ryobi Oscillating jig saw. It gets dissed quite a bit in reviews, all the complaining is centered around the funny blade lock mechanism. Yes it is a little bit harder to use than some others I have used, but I have yet to have it toss a blade out at an inopportune moment. It SOLIDLY locks the blade in place until YOU tell it to release... I am actually liking this tool! Especially when paired with Bosch blades.

Spent a considerable amount of time cleaning the shop, and getting the miter saw bench empty. I am fixing to take it apart, and re-glue it.

Tossed out the Glue bottle of Titebond II that was separating and was used in the failed glue joints. Picked up some Titebond III in a pint bottle. Going to use that in my setup....

I need to dig out the 2x4 from my lumber rack and get to cutting. I am going to make corner glue blocks / square blocks to force the cabinet into square, or at least help it stay there!

I went from needing to run my heater the weekend prior as we were in the 20s, to not needing any heat or cooling at all, to needing to run the AC in the shop on Sunday as the daytime highs were over 80 and like an idiot I had the overhead doors open for too long... The good thing is, once the AC kicks on, given a little nudge from the box fan, it cools the shop off FAST. That insulation is doing its job pretty well, not to mention the little AC unit... I must admit though, I sure wish the AC would move enough air to keep the entire shop air volume moved around... It NEEDS a box fan to keep the air moving to keep from having cold and hot spots...

I managed to get the Kitty Condo, that the queen of the house managed to shred to death back into the shop, and re-wrapped 3/8" sisal rope on it. I hid the staples on the insides of the post where she doesn't even look let alone scratch, no hung claw problems here! And it looks so much better than frayed falling off rope!

Bud Ackerman
02-18-2014, 10:26 PM
I finally got the 4 Bed Room Closet cabinets out of my shop and installed. Got the drawer fronts installed and then cajoled the LOML to give me an hour in the shop to help clean up before I put the tops in.... Biggest accomplishment...... I found that I have a floor in my shop :)

Matt Meiser
02-18-2014, 10:26 PM
LOMLjr has basketball playoffs this week so in addition to the usual Friday night and Sunday afternoon practices they also had one Saturday morning. I did get some shop time Saturday afternoon--cleaned up the shop some and built a prototype of a tray for the center console of my new truck. Good thing I did a prototype because what I wanted to do isn't going to work out at all. Also made up some 6x8 to 6.5" speaker adapters so I can put new speakers in and a few other prep things related to some other mods I have planned.