PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PWBS-14CS on 230 v. - Will the light still work?

Roy Turbett
02-16-2014, 8:40 PM
I just got a new Powermatic PWBS-14cs bandsaw that came with an attached light. It came wired for 115v but the manual says it can be converted to 230v. The wiring diagram for a 230v hookup just shows a two hot with a ground plug for the motor but makes no mention of whether the 115v light will still work. I have a neutral available in the wall outlet if needed.

Peter Quinn
02-16-2014, 8:45 PM
You need a new light bulb that operates at 220V. Not sure switching that saw to 220V gets you much unless thats all you have to work with, I used it with good success on a 20A 110 circuit, works with the original light.

Roy Turbett
02-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks Pete. I not concerned about getting better performance with 230v. My situation is that I've run out of juice on all of my 115v circuits but still have some left on one of my 230v circuits. Its not a problem when I'm in the shop by myself and am only using one tool at a time. But I frequently have a lot of friends in the shop with me and don't want to keep tripping breakers.

Ronald Blue
02-16-2014, 10:54 PM
The light could quite easily work. You have two legs of 115 coming in with a 230 circuit. Your light could run off one leg.

Charles Lent
02-17-2014, 7:43 AM
If you replace the power cord with a 3 conductor (plus ground) you will be able to connect the light from either hot lead to neutral. Or you could buy a 240 - 120 volt transformer, attach it to the back of your saw and run the light from it. Or you could try to find a 240 volt bulb for the light. Or you could just do without the light.

Charley

Roy Turbett
02-17-2014, 9:59 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I think I'll just go with a 230v bulb.

Mark Andrew
02-17-2014, 12:07 PM
That's what I did with my drill press when I remotored it with a 240V motor. New bulb, and all is good. Europe uses 240V as standard, and the mainland European lightbulb standard fitment is an Edison screw, and is compatible with US screw fittings. UK & Ireland use bayonet cap fittings, so they're not compatible. Of course European lightbulbs are considerably more expensive in the US. I think I paid $10 for two, rather than a buck or so each.

Charles Lent
02-17-2014, 7:53 PM
The only problem with using the 240 volt bulb is that the lamp socket is the same as a 120 volt bulb. The next time that the bulb needs replacing, you or possibly the next owner may attempt to install a 120 volt bulb in the fixture. This bulb may shatter when it tries to light with double it's rated voltage.
It would be safer to choose one of the other alternatives. A transformer to power one light bulb costs about $20.

Charley

Roy Turbett
02-18-2014, 8:09 PM
The only problem with using the 240 volt bulb is that the lamp socket is the same as a 120 volt bulb. The next time that the bulb needs replacing, you or possibly the next owner may attempt to install a 120 volt bulb in the fixture. This bulb may shatter when it tries to light with double it's rated voltage.
It would be safer to choose one of the other alternatives. A transformer to power one light bulb costs about $20.

Charley

Hadn't thought of that. I retagged the motor to show its 230v but didn't think about the light. I'll make up a caution sticker.