PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PWBS-14CS on 230 v. - Will the light still work?

Roy Turbett
02-16-2014, 8:29 PM
I just got a new Powermatic PWBS-14CS that came wired for 115v. I want to change this to 230v. and am wondering if I need a neutral for the light to still work. The manual just shows the 230v motor wiring using a two hot and ground plug but makes no mention of whether the light will still work. I have a neutral wire available in the outlet.

Edward Oleen
04-09-2014, 6:29 PM
You might need a 230 volt bulb... At any rate, why don't you call Powermatic, at 800-274-6848 (customer service) or 800-274-6846 for technical service.

Hours: Customer service: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST, Monday - Friday)
Technical service: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST, Monday - Friday)

On the other hand, you have a great bandsaw.I have had one for several years now, and I have only one fault to find with it: the motor mount.

I don't know if you have assembled it yet. If you haven't you are in for a very interesting experience...

If you have, you know EXACTLY what I mean.

Good wishes, best of luck, etc.

OldEd

Mike Gresham
04-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Unless you have some overriding reason to change it, why don't you try it at 115v first? I had planned to change mine, but after using it for a while decided there was no benefit to doing so. It goes through 6-7 inches of red/white oak with ease. You'll probably see a lot of argument, but it will run the same on a properly wired 115v circuit as it will on the higher voltage circuit.

If you decide to proceed with the conversion, PM said you needed the higher voltage bulb when I called them several years ago.

Dennis Hawkins
04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
A standard 115 volt AC lamp requires one hot lead and one neutral lead. A 230 volt arrangement uses the neutral lead for the other 115 volt supply so you cannot use the lamp. The benefit of using 230 volts is the motor current is handled by both legs of the wiring.

Dave Cullen
04-10-2014, 1:51 PM
Yes, you would need a neutral wire. You will have to change the wiring for the lamp to go from one "hot" leg to neutral instead of across the line. A 220V bulb might be possible but I wouldn't go that route.

You would also change the power cord from 3 to 4 conductors. You still want earth ground (usually green in the US), don't reassign that as the neutral.

Rod Sheridan
04-10-2014, 1:58 PM
I just got a new Powermatic PWBS-14CS that came wired for 115v. I want to change this to 230v. and am wondering if I need a neutral for the light to still work. The manual just shows the 230v motor wiring using a two hot and ground plug but makes no mention of whether the light will still work. I have a neutral wire available in the outlet.

Roy, call Powermatic and see what they say.

I added a small transformer and fuses to my saw................Rod.

Co

Duane Meadows
04-10-2014, 2:41 PM
Yes, you would need a neutral wire. You will have to change the wiring for the lamp to go from one "hot" leg to neutral instead of across the line. A 220V bulb might be possible but I wouldn't go that route.

Maybe, Maybe not. Depends on how the light is wired. On the odd chance it is wired across one of the motor windings, it should work either way. If it is across the power source, then you will need a neutral. Not having a schematic diagram, I can't give you a better answer other than if it were mine I could make it work without a neutral!

Peter Quinn
04-10-2014, 6:50 PM
IIR i inquired about this years ago and was told to get 220V bulbs by PM.