PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Edge-Trimming Plane -- yep!

Michael Ray Smith
02-16-2014, 11:19 AM
My kids gave me a Veritas edge-trimming plane for Christmas, and I just had a reason to use it for the first time. I love it. Recognize that I'm still a Neanderthal neophyte (and probably always will be, given that I don't have much time to spend on it), and others with more skill might not find it as useful as I do. When I joint the edge of a board, I still have trouble getting the edge square. Today, I used the edge trimming plane to get a good square edge to start with, then straightened it with the jointer. For me, it was much easier than adding a fence to the jointer, because I find them awkward to use.

My birthday is in May. I guess I can wait that long to ask the kids for the left-handed model.

Hilton Ralphs
02-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Nice!

I was able to pick up a right hand one with a V11 blade in December for $90 so hopefully there's a left hand version on sale next time around.

Don Dorn
02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
It would certainly work for that, but ensure that your blade is square to the bed - if not, it won't give you the results you seek.

Jim Belair
02-16-2014, 1:23 PM
I don't have/ use a edge plane so take this for what it's worth, but I would lean towards the reverse process. Joint first, getting it as square as I'm able to, then fine tune with the edge plane.

I was glad I was able to get the hang of using a jointer fence on my last project and get straight and square at the same time.

Tony Zaffuto
02-16-2014, 1:56 PM
I don't have/ use a edge plane so take this for what it's worth, but I would lean towards the reverse process. Joint first, getting it as square as I'm able to, then fine tune with the edge plane.

I was glad I was able to get the hang of using a jointer fence on my last project and get straight and square at the same time.

Don't know if this is right or wrong, but it is the way I do it and works well for me! I use mine far more than I ever thought I would and if kept razor, hair popping sharp, and I pay attention, the LN I have (think it is a RH, but it may be a LH) does it all for me.

Maurice Ungaro
02-16-2014, 3:27 PM
Michael,
I really like my LV Edge Trimming Plane too! I think you'll also find it very usefull on thinner stock, like for boxes, etc. It's nice to have in the arsenal!

Michael Ray Smith
02-17-2014, 1:53 AM
It would certainly work for that, but ensure that your blade is square to the bed - if not, it won't give you the results you seek.

Yes, I paid careful attention to that.

Michael Ray Smith
02-17-2014, 2:08 AM

Thanks. I'll try that, too. My usual problem is in getting the edge square to begin with. After that, I can generally stay on track by watching the shaving. If it begins to look a bit thicker on one side, I know I'm leaning in that direction.

Chris Griggs
02-17-2014, 6:28 AM
Cool.

I think that would be really nice to use instead of getting out the shooting board at times too (read: when my bench is too cluttered). You'd still need to mark and control for square in one direction, but it still would make it pretty quick and easy. I often use this just with a block or small bench plane, but having things set in at least one direction would make it quicker/easier.