PDA

View Full Version : I figured I'd make y'all feel a little better.

Rich Engelhardt
02-16-2014, 9:59 AM
You know how misery loves company?
Well, the only thing better than that is when something happens to the other guy ! LOL! :D:D

Here's how it all started:

My wife says. "Is there something you can put there, like bull nose tile, to stop that?
(The "That" is the rotted drywall in picture #2)

"Sure, no problem" I says. "First I want to put in a new floor though".
The old floor was pretty ratty & I figured since I 'd be putting something all the way down to the floor, I might as well put in a new floor, then work my way up the wall.

And one thing lead to another, then another...

Bob Turkovich
02-16-2014, 10:09 AM
I have a cracked bullnose tile in the main bathroom. There is no replacement tile available.

My wife says, "Can't you just replace the whole row? While you're at it, can we replace the floor tiles and put bead board on the walls outside the tub surround?"

Picture 3 is exactly what I anticipate happening...and is why I'm delaying this project as much as possible.

I need to show her your post at just the right moment;)

Gordon Eyre
02-16-2014, 10:24 AM
It is never as easy as your wife thinks it is. :D

Curt Fuller
02-16-2014, 10:28 AM
It is never as easy as your wife thinks it is. :D

Amen Brother!!

Phil Thien
02-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Amen Brother!!

Yeah, the expectations of the wife are set by the half-hour long home improvement shows.

I don't think my wife understands editing, I think she imagines that they are showing things in real time.

Michael Mahan
02-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Well when you do the rebuild , lose the shower curtain , that is the culprit of the water damage .
been there , done that , glass enclosure still dry after 14 years

Charlie Velasquez
02-16-2014, 1:42 PM
I know what you mean-
Last summer, it all started with:
Me: Dear, can you help me move the kitchen table so I can mop the floor?
Then....
Wife: Sure, but it looks dingy, we probably need to strip it.

Me: Ok, let's move frig and stove out of the way. (push shove, roll)
Wife: Oh, it looks like the wallpaper was peeling behind the frig. I don't like that wall paper, I think I would like to paint the kitchen.

Me: (strip, soak, tear,soak, wash...) Mmmm.... Looks like the wall was repaired a couple of times and the wallpaper was covering several different textures of wall coverings: sand texture, smooth, bare drywall... Paint won't look right with all those different textures; maybe paper again?
Wife: No, I want to paint.. Can you smooth the walls with something?

Me: I can try a skim coat, but I need to remove the cabinets and all the trim. (Unscrew,unscrew, lift, lower...pry-off, Carry out)
Wife: Well, since all the cabinets are out, maybe it would be a good time to replace the flooring...
Me: Well, I guess I don't need to mop, then....

Bruce Page
02-16-2014, 1:55 PM
There are very few married homeowners that haven’t been down this path, I know I have!

It's still funny to read about it..!

Dan Hintz
02-16-2014, 3:42 PM
Other than no cabinet above the toilet and our tub flipped left to right, that's the exact layout of our upstairs bathroom. When time permits, ours will look even more bare than your third pic.

If you want it done right, you gotta go all the way!

Mike Olson
02-16-2014, 4:00 PM
That's what my 2nd bath (shower stall) looks like right now. started with a call to a plumber because we noticed a small water spot on the ceiling below after one of my wife's 45 min showers. Plumber says it not plumbing, but it's getting through the tiles.

Time to re-grout. found lots of loose tiles due to rotten drywall behind tiles. pull those off, no waterproofing at all. time to tear out to check the studs. the bottom of most studs are rotted about 1/2 way through. have to tear out the concrete floor pan to ensure no more rotting. "still no waterproofing at all"
Floor is good, but now my wife says, since everything is out can't we make that shower stall bigger?

Ugh, that involves moving plumbing and breaking into the other bathrooms closet.

1 year now and the area is enlarged, studs are fixed and i haven't yet moved the plumbing as it involves soldering under the floor under the new wall. I keep telling myself I really need to get that done but the thought of shutting off the water to the house and cutting and working on pipes I can barely get to is rather daunting...

Hopefully yours takes less than a year to finish...

Clay Crocker
02-16-2014, 4:52 PM
Love the "Star Wars" shower curtain! ;) :D

David Helm
02-16-2014, 6:29 PM
As a professional builder/remodeler for over 30 years, I figured my wife understood the time required to do a job. When it came time to do our house, she still couldn't understand why it took me so long. I think it is either a gender thing or a "not in my house" thing.

Mike Cozad
02-16-2014, 7:55 PM
At least she let you sort it out on your own. I cam home from a business trip one weekend to all the tile ripped off the walls, along with the drywall paper. She was excited and said "its ready for new tile, I took all the ugly old stuff off." I was left with no choice but to go down to the studs. The good thing is the bathroom turned out great. It was super motivating I guess...

Brian Elfert
02-16-2014, 9:01 PM
And one thing lead to another, then another...

Why did you end up removing the entire tub?

Jim Koepke
02-16-2014, 9:18 PM
Me: Well, I guess I don't need to mop, then....

That is why I never mop the floor. Though I wouldn't go through all of that to get out of it.

jtk

Rich Engelhardt
02-17-2014, 7:17 AM
Why did you end up removing the entire tub?That started with my wife asking about the possibility of putting in a whirlpool tub.
We talked about it - (and I asked here for some help to talk her out of it :D ;) ) and decided it was too involved. We don't have an open spot in the panel for a breaker to run a circuit for the whirlpool so we'd have to install a sub panel for that. There's no room for a sub panel - which would have meant making room.

So.....even though I talked her out of a whirlpool tub, she still had her heart set on ceramic tile and a new acrylic tub, since the old fiberglass tub and surround was so miserable to try to keep clean.

David Weaver
02-17-2014, 7:52 AM
Same thing happened to me. Wife said "I don't like the cabinets....can't you just paint them white?"

Had a water issue under the toilet, too. Ended up replacing everything except the tile on the walls. Toilet, cabinets, vanity, put in porcelain tile floor. No access to the floor under the bathroom, either, because it's over a garage and access would've meant going through plaster from under. A royal pain!

Mike Olson
02-17-2014, 1:58 PM
Thank you Rich!

my reply to you got me going and I just finished running the water supply and installed the new faucet. And best of all, NO LEAKS!.
Now I just have to replace the drain with a new one and I can start installing the floor and walls... probably another year before that's done...

Mike Henderson
02-17-2014, 2:17 PM
That started with my wife asking about the possibility of putting in a whirlpool tub.
We talked about it - (and I asked here for some help to talk her out of it :D ;) ) and decided it was too involved. We don't have an open spot in the panel for a breaker to run a circuit for the whirlpool so we'd have to install a sub panel for that. There's no room for a sub panel - which would have meant making room.

So.....even though I talked her out of a whirlpool tub, she still had her heart set on ceramic tile and a new acrylic tub, since the old fiberglass tub and surround was so miserable to try to keep clean.

Try to talk her out of a tub and just put in a walk in shower.

Mike

[My shower project started with my wife noticing a loose tile on the outside of the dam of the shower. That morphed into the replacement of the whole pan, and the tile half way up. Then new glass because the old glass was "scratched and spotted". Left on my own, I would have just glued the loose tile back.]

Rich Engelhardt
02-17-2014, 2:18 PM
And best of all, NO LEAKS!.That my friend is a cause to go out to nice place to eat, quaff some beverage and splurge on something good!
Anytime a plumbing job goes off w/out a leak or a call to a plumber it's a major step ahead for mankind!

I'm 100% convinced that human beings were never meant to have dwellings where water could both be kept out and brought in.

Jeff Erbele
02-17-2014, 3:57 PM
Anytime a plumbing job goes off w/out a leak or a call to a plumber it's a major step ahead for mankind!

I'm 100% convinced that human beings were never meant to have dwellings where water could both be kept out and brought in.

And back out again after enjoying the convenience :)
Further, being super particular about the water coming in and going out. Potable water must be safe; we get finicky over minerals, hardness, dissolved solids, taste, odor, and much more. We want it frozen, warm, really hot, simmering, boiling, in the form of steam and sometimes higher than boiling in pressure vessels. We want it inside and outside, on demand, self-regulating, never with leaks, flowing in one direction only. As soon as we are done with it, we want it to go away via another system, totally isolated.
...a bit above creek water in a goat bladder in your basic cave :D

Jeff Erbele
02-17-2014, 4:08 PM
I can relate to these projects as I've done a lot of renovations and remodel jobs. One small thing leads to another thing, which leads to another, to the point of where do I quit digging deeper. Should I bring in the wrecking ball and save the basement hole?

So next time you see a loose corner on the wall paper in the basement, leave it alone otherwise it could lead to a new roof.

Rich Engelhardt
03-11-2014, 8:55 AM
Tile is all up - except for the bull nose trim.
Now comes the nasty part we all love so much -putting in the grout!

Jim Creech
03-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Having done a lot of "Home Improvements" over the years I am totally convinced that it is easier and less expensive and less time consuming just to buy another house.

Rick Potter
03-11-2014, 11:43 AM
I have a tile job coming up pretty soon, if you are available Rich. :D

Rick Potter

George Bokros
03-11-2014, 2:08 PM
Tile is all up - except for the bull nose trim.
Now comes the nasty part we all love so much -putting in the grout!

Is the plan to keep the writing on the as part of the new decor? Just kidding.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-11-2014, 2:36 PM
Having done a lot of "Home Improvements" over the years I am totally convinced that it is easier and less expensive and less time consuming just to buy another house.

I love that!

Rich Engelhardt
03-12-2014, 7:38 AM
Is the plan to keep the writing on the as part of the new décor?
LOL!
Matter of fact...
There is a cabinet that goes in that spot & I thought about leaving the writing there just to amuse whoever tears things out next!

I really get a kick out of things like that I run across in a rehab!