PDA

View Full Version : Sawmaster 785 and Maggi 640

Vincent Hamilton
02-16-2014, 7:57 AM
Hello, I've been looking on these forums for a while now and decided to join up as I really need some advice before buying a radial arm saw.

I'm looking at buying either a sawmaster 785 or a maggi 640. The sawmaster is 10 minutes from me so would be much easier for me to pick up and looks to be of a solid design, the maggi 640 is well out of the way but I can get a pretty good deal on it so it is an option.

It will mainly be used for making furniture so I am looking for one that holds its settings.

This is the sawmaster:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maryland-2287/other-tools-diy/sawmaster-bench-saw/1037838064

Any input would be appreciated.

nicholas mitchell
02-16-2014, 10:26 AM
If you gave me the worlds best ras for free I still wouldn't put it in my shop. Others love them.
I don't know anything about those 2 models but I didn't know Maggi made one. They make other good equipment though if that helps.
I would seriously consider going in another direction for making furniture parts.

Rich Riddle
02-16-2014, 10:38 AM
I hold a neutral tone when considering radial arm saws. Some people use them with phenomenal results. Old tools last for generations, so the one in the link looks great. However, it isn't a saw with a huge following or an over-abundance of parts available when it does need a part (not if, but when). If you are going to buy an old woodworking machine, pick a model with the availability of parts. Some styles of the old DeWalt radial arm saws were superior in quality but have the availability of parts. You don't want to be the woodworker with the "unique" tool when it comes time for parts replacement.

Rick Potter
02-16-2014, 4:43 PM
Since I never heard of Sawmaster, I looked them up and found mostly tile cutting machinery. The pic you show looks like a copy of an old Comet RAS, that looks kinda like a cross between a RAS and a CMS. I know that Maggi makes good stuff, and I would add Omga to your list...Also made in Italy, and more commonly available.

Of course old DeWalt and Rockwell/Delta (turret) machines are very well made also, and can be found in nice shape.

Personally, I would steer clear of the Sawmaster. It must be really hard to get parts for it.

Rick Potter

Loren Woirhaye
02-16-2014, 8:19 PM
Maggi makes very good stuff. I've owned 2 Maggi boring machines.

Most of the Maggi radial saws I have seen for sale are bigger ones. I think some can crosscut a 24" pantry side. If I had room for a radial arm saw that could do that, I would want it.

Rick Potter
02-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Loren,

I picked up an Omga RN 900 that crosscuts 37". Haven't used it yet, I just couldn't resist.

Rick Potter

Vincent Hamilton
02-17-2014, 1:06 AM
Thanks for your replies. I was looking to get an old dewalt however it seems we have only the later models in Australia. There are a few sawmasters floating around but not enough to say there is an abundance of parts so I most likely won't buy one. If any Australians on this forum can say they have one then I would love to hear how it goes.

I'll try my best to get the Maggi or something of similar quality such as Omga.

Loren Woirhaye
02-17-2014, 2:07 AM
Rick,

I know how it goes. I recently bought a 16" pre-war German jointer I don't have room to set up.

That Sawmaster is a good looking machine but I am wary of that type of slide as they have been known to get warped.