PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your screw bits and all those other quick change bits for your drill

Brian Ashton
02-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Looking for inspiration. I have hundreds and I don't like storing them in the boxes that are divided up into small bins... Id prefer something where they're in racks or some sort, but they need to be secure enough to go on site and not spill everywhere. What have you got that I can gain some food for thought

Tony Haukap
02-16-2014, 12:08 AM
A scrap of wood with some holes drilled in it - secure enough as long as you don't turn it upside down. :)
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/8647/o6gu.jpg
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6876/f9wr.jpg

Rick Potter
02-16-2014, 12:27 AM
About the same as Tony. When I go to work on rentals, I put extra bits in a medicine bottle with a screw cap. Only need about a dozen to take with me. I also have quite a few extras, but they are kept in separate containers in a drawer till refills are needed.

Rick Potter

Alex Stace
02-16-2014, 2:53 AM
I have a Ryobi drill bit roll.

Basically canvas/fabric with elastic sewed on, it great as you can stick whatever you want in it and it holds well and is not specific to a bit, nor fragile like plastic cases.

don't think they sell em anymore though

Vytas Miknaitis
02-16-2014, 7:09 AM
I recently discovered eyeglass cases! The kind that snap open are usually steel , covered in plastic or 'leather' are rugged, hold a bunch of misc. bits and driver accessories and only cost $1 at local thrift shops. There is the prestigious plus of letting Calvin Klein hold your bits. Also good for lightly used jigsaw blades.

Michael Mayo
02-16-2014, 9:09 AM
I too have tons of bits that I have accumulated over the years. A while back the SWMBO needed to use my drill and I only assume that she didn't appreciate the way I was storing all the bits so she did me a solid and put all of the bits into a super nice Tupperware container. It is a small maybe 5x5 square container and it holds a butt load of bits. Recently I bought a couple of sets of the Milwaukee Shockwave impact duty bit sets at the Borg and they have turned out to be an awesome set of bits. I have not pulled out the Tupperware container in quite a while as I always use the Shockwave sets exclusively. If you have not tried them I highly recommend them especially if you use an impact driver. I have only broken two bits so far. One a common screw driver bit and the other a drill bit which I still don't know why it broke. The great thing about these sets is that they come in a nice bright red case that keeps everything nice and organized and they are always easy to find as I seem to always be reaching for them for something.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/204/20467_2000x2000.jpg

glenn bradley
02-16-2014, 9:23 AM
Mine too is like Tony's. You don't need all your bits at your fingertips in the shop. If you kept track I imagine you don't use more than a half a dozen regularly. I have a small block mounted to the end of one of my benches with graduated sizes of slot, Robertson and Phillips. There is another fixture nearby for longer bits and other "tall" items. Across the room I have 3 Altoids tins with commonly used 1" bits in one, commonly used 2" bits in another and seldom used bits in the third. All the rest are stored out of my immediate work area since they are not immediately useful ;-)

Brian Ashton
02-16-2014, 8:31 PM
I have a Ryobi drill bit roll.

Basically canvas/fabric with elastic sewed on, it great as you can stick whatever you want in it and it holds well and is not specific to a bit, nor fragile like plastic cases.

don't think they sell em anymore though

I like that idea. I have heaps of leather I cannibalised from a couple lounge chairs that I could stitch together a role or two that would hold everything. I've already made 2 roles to hold my carving chisels and a phone case so a couple of bit rolls should be pretty easy - and stylish!

@ Tony

The wood blocks are good and that's what I have now but when you throw them in a box... they tend to unload pretty easily. I need something that will travel well as well as hang on a wall.

@ Others

Plastic cases are well organised but unfortunately more restrictive in that they won't hold a lot of the bits I have (I have a lot of very long bits and holders...) in adjust one or two cases, I'd have to have 10 different cases and I don't like tubs where you dump everything in anymore.

phil harold
02-17-2014, 1:28 AM
I buy these
http://www.amazon.com/Pc-Security-Bit-Set-Hollow/dp/B0050JRZPO/ref=sr_1_35?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1392618399&sr=1-35&keywords=Bit+Tip+security

and fill the top with my own selection of bits

Tony Haukap
02-17-2014, 2:06 AM
Plastic cases are well organised but unfortunately more restrictive in that they won't hold a lot of the bits I almost forgot I had this... Lowes sells a DeWalt case (empty) that has configurable dividers - I use it to store my impact stuff. It has a clear plastic cover that locks to keep everything in place.
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9272/rjxu.jpg

Dennis McDonaugh
02-17-2014, 9:15 AM
I'm not nearly so organized, they just lay in a small drawer in my tool chest. You do have to hunt for the more obscure ones, but the ones I use regularly are in the front.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-17-2014, 9:31 AM
I store them on top of the dryer. My wife says I leave them in my pockets, and she finds them in the wash. It's all part of the plan though, and they stay very clean!

phil harold
02-17-2014, 12:58 PM
I store them on top of the dryer. My wife says I leave them in my pockets, and she finds them in the wash. It's all part of the plan though, and they stay very clean!

I use this method too
but is expensive
the cash never makes it to the top of the dryer...

steven taggart
03-13-2014, 4:45 PM
Two old speaker magnets stuck on a dollar store cookie sheet. I just chuck the bits at it, and they stick. Works for me, but I am not the most organized guy on the planet. Anything that makes it easy for me to keep things somewhat organized is what works best for me.

Alan Bienlein
03-13-2014, 6:07 PM
In the case they came in. I use the jackrabbit countersink and there is a place for everything inside the case.

Tom M King
03-13-2014, 8:58 PM
One of my helpers got tired of me asking for a bit when I needed one, so he started keeping the most common ones we use in his pocket. I gave him a raise.

Tools that need a screwdriver or wrenches have dedicated ones in their toolbox.

Bill Neely
03-14-2014, 1:11 AM
Used 7.5 oz salmon cans - I wash the first.