PDA

View Full Version : Creating kits, and making copies of plans

dirk martin
02-15-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm working with a local youth group, and they'd like me to create some "kits" that their kids can put together, as gifts to their fathers, or mothers, or whomever. I will be performing all the cuts (crosscuts, rips, and miters), and basically bundling the wood together with any needed hardware, and instructions, to create a "kit". I'll also predrill holes for screws. Sometimes I'll drill larger holes for dowels and glue. The idea is for me to create kits such that they can assemble them with nothing more than a screwdriver, glue, and maybe a hammer.

I'll be making 3-5 different kits, using a variety of wood species. The kids will assemble them, maybe do some sanding, and apply a finish.

These kits will be purchased from me, by the youth group. As for assembly instructions....that's where I need some help from you folks. I've seen some fantastic articles in some of my woodworking magazines, for some simple projects (think birdhouses, tissue boxes, step stools, etc.). I would imagine I cannot legally make copies of the articles, to include in my kits. I do, however, think I could purchase several copies of any particular magazine, and include one of those copies in each kit (the cost of the magazine will of course cut into my profit...but not enough to worry about).

I also plan on making a short YouTube video of someone assembling one of the kits, and the kids can view that, to help them with putting it together....however, I'd still like some hard-copy instructions.

If I see a nice article in a wood magazine for building a step stool, can I create my own instructions, and closely (but not exactly) duplicate what I see in the magazine? Am I correct in assuming I cannot make photo-copies of the wood magazine's article to include with my kits? Has anyone here contacted a wood working magazine publisher, for copies of a particular article, for use like I'm considering?

Thanks gang. Just wanna be sure I'm staying legal....

John Stankus
02-15-2014, 11:41 PM
If you are not profiting, you may one to ask the magazines for permission to use the articles. They may want the publicity and also encourage new woodworkers( eventual subscribers)

John

dirk martin
02-16-2014, 3:02 AM
And, if I am profiting?

Bradley Gray
02-16-2014, 8:34 AM
Perhaps you could use a good set of instructions as a "template" and substitute or paraphrase and credit the original author. I would not do a step stool for obvious liability issues - think about all the caution stickers on ladders these days. Good luck!

Lee Schierer
02-16-2014, 8:41 AM
Write your own instructions and insert photos for each step using a word processing program. I used to do this all the time where I worked. It isn't hard and you can get pretty detailed. Simply write the instructions as if you were explaining how to do it to someone in your shop. Make copies of the file on CD's which you provide with each kit. If the instructions and photos are your work, there is no copyright problem profit or no profit. CD's are pretty cheap and shouldn't cut into your profit margin.

dirk martin
02-16-2014, 1:58 PM
I hear ya, Lee.
I was just wondering if there's a way to leverage the article from the magazine.
I'm actually leaning towards some bird houses, so as not to have the liability of a step stool.

Maybe I should reach out to the magazine.
Afterall, I'm not competing with them. I am indeed promoting them, and their article. I'm simply supplying the wood and hardware, which the magazine does not do.

Myk Rian
02-16-2014, 3:50 PM
Some simple Sketchup pictures printed out would do it. Especially for a bird house.