PDA

View Full Version : Worksharp woes - a mild rant

Frederick Skelly
02-14-2014, 9:40 PM
First, I got back bevels I didnt want - I mastered that (with SMCs help).

Next, the bevels were skewed. I wrestled with that adjustment and finally got it right.

But Im still putting a semicircular groove in the tool's back (near the heel). I watched and re-watched the instruction video to see how they do it. I set the heel on the edge of the worksharp (not the spinning disk). I rotate it downward carefully to make sure the back of the tool settles flat on the spinning disk. As I do that, the back touches the edge of the spinning disk and gets a noticable groove that doesnt polish out. (But I do get the back flat for the inch or so behind the bevel - its lovely.)

Ive tried putting the tool flat on the disk and then starting the disk - Im not a gymnast and thats tough to manage. I thought about that footswitch but read somewhere that using one will void my warranty.

I checked the abrasive - its on the disk properly (centered and not overhanging).

Ive spent something like 16 hours trying to master this machine and Im just not getting it. And oh yeah - I understand this is supposed to be a real simple tool to use, so Im feeling doubly stupid.

Im so frustrated that Im considering returning the darn thing. Maybe John Collocia was right and this takes too much effort to use it for flattening the backs. But so many of you use it successfully that there has to be a way. What am I missing?

Signed,
Frustrated User

Al Weber
02-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Do the chisels have a bow in them? It sounds to me as though the chisel is not flat throughout its length. I have seen that on some of my older beater chisels. I don't worry about it on those. You only need to polish a short section of the back behind the bevel. No need to extend it further.

Ellen Benkin
02-15-2014, 1:33 PM
I also did battle with my Worksharp getting the back of my chisels flat without chewing a groove in them. Then I read a post recently about using a footswitch and BINGO! my problems were solved. One of the most brilliant suggestions ever and made my donation to Sawmill Creek totally worth the price. I also bought a set of diamond plates from www.kentsupplies.com (http://www.kentsupplies.com). Put the chisel on the disk, hold it firmly, stomp on the switch to start the disk spinning, move the chisel in and out over the disk. and keep the chisel flat while using the footswitch to stop the machine. I had to go from 150 to 3000 grits to completely fix all the problems I had caused with earlier efforts but I wound up with very flat chisel backs which, hopefully, I will never touch again.

Jack Lemley
02-15-2014, 3:48 PM
Ellen,

How about a part number for the diamond discs. Do they work well?

Thanks
Jack

Ellen Benkin
02-15-2014, 6:28 PM
This is the website for the 6" discs. http://kentsupplies.com/glass-and-ceramic-tools/grinder-disks/kent-6-inch-diameter-quality-electroplated-diamond-coated-flat-lap-disk-wheel.html I Just noticed that they recommend wet use but I used them dry on the Work Sharp. I used them with a glass plate underneath them and I think they were phenomenal and won't wear out like the sandpaper.

Frederick Skelly
02-15-2014, 10:06 PM
I FINALLY Mastered It

I found a position for my hands that lets me put the chisel flat, hold it securely, turn the switch on, work the back flat, turn the switch off and lift the chisel. No grooves in the back and no back bevels.

Ellen, Al, thanks for your help.

Ellen, do you recall a part number for that foot switch? Warranty or not, I think I need one. (Good idea Al.) Im also going to check out those diamonds disks.

Fred

Rich Riddle
02-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Do you recall a part number for that foot switch? Warranty or not, I think I need one. (Good idea Al.)
Fred

Here is a link to a cheap one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/momentary-power-foot-switch-96619.html

Bob Michaels
02-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Ellen, the Kent disks look like they're worth a try. I love the Worksharp but go thru a ton of the finer grits. Did you attach them to the glass plates? The website says mechanically clamp them to a plate.

Ellen Benkin
02-16-2014, 1:15 AM
Regarding footswitches: Both Rockler, Woodcraft, and Harbor Freight sell the same style http://www.rockler.com/router-table-foot-pedal-power-switch . Mine is from Lee Valley and is air activated http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30049&cat=1,240,41065. I think the Rockler/Woodcraft/Harbor Freight design might work better than the Lee Valley because they look easier to use. I have to stomp on mine to start and then stomp on it again to stop.

Regarding the Kent disks -- I didn't attach them to the glass plate but just put it on top of one of the glass plates that had a very fine grit sandpaper on it. That arrangement held up perfectly through all the Kent disk grits.

Chris Parks
02-16-2014, 1:47 AM
Any thoughts on these...http://lapidarytool.com/cart/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=46

The price is right.

Rich Riddle
02-16-2014, 10:32 AM
I thought about that footswitch but read somewhere that using one will void my warranty.

The only type of footswitch that would void a warranty is one that has a rheostat involved (think dimmer switch). A footswitch that is only an "on/off" switch will not void the warranty any more than having the Work Sharp plugged into an outlet controlled by a simple light switch (which is what I do).

Ellen Benkin
02-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Any thoughts on these...http://lapidarytool.com/cart/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=46

The price is right.

I saw that they offer 6 1/2" disks and the Worksharp uses 6" disks. I am not sure how the larger ones would work. The prices are great but I would also be concerned about how thick the plates actually are, although I also put the Kent disks on top of a Worksharp glass plate to keep them flat.

John Coloccia
02-16-2014, 1:03 PM
FWIW, I use the Woodcraft footswitch on that. And I also use it on:

1) dremel for inlay work
2) when I had a router table, the router. Great for stop cuts.
3) ShopVac. Oh, try it. Get the vac out of the way, but the switch under the table and hang the vac line somewhere convenient.

Frederick Skelly
02-17-2014, 8:38 PM
Not sure anyones still reading this thread, but Ill add this last bit so the archives are complete for someone searching in the future...

I called "Harmony" at Worksharp Customer Service today. She said that it is acceptable to use a footswitch and that doing so does NOT void your warranty. So that little internet factoid was not true - as Rich and others suspected. (What a surprise, huh - the internet 'said' something untrue?)

After that, I ran out and bought a simple on/off footwitch and tried it. It worked great, as several of you reported.

Thanks folks. Your help (and patience) was much appreciated.

Fred

Ellen Benkin
02-17-2014, 9:36 PM
Frederick -
Thanks for calling the source to check out the rumor about the footswitch. I just read the entire User's Guide and could not find a reference to the footswitch affecting the warranty. It would have been a lot faster if I had called them!

Ellen