PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with tree IDs

Bill Hensley
02-14-2014, 6:44 PM
I'm having some trouble IDing what kind of trees these are. Both bowls look like white oak but neither tree (bark) looks like the typical white oaks on my property.

Just so you know the bowl beside the other half of the crotch piece has tinted tung oil to highlight the grain. The other bowl was also finished with tung oil but no tint.

Any chance the natural edge bowl is Ash?

charlie knighton
02-14-2014, 6:56 PM
the natural edge looks like oak, what type of oak??????????, for me the radial lines pointing to the center of bowl were the key

the first bowl does not look like oak to me, ash maybe, do not have good opinion

any leaves, they help more than baark

Dennis Ford
02-14-2014, 10:33 PM
The natural edge bowl looks like red oak to me, not sure about the other bowl.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-15-2014, 5:40 AM
Ash has a diamond shaped pattern in the bark and I see some of that in the crotch wood. The grain inside the bowl reinforces that opinion.
I can't help with the other pix though I know they are not ash.
faust

William Bachtel
02-15-2014, 3:30 PM
Both bowls look like Red Oak. Natural Edge is R/O for sure.

robert baccus
02-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Two clues--WO will have very wide and prominen meduliary rays and the pores in the heartwood of WO are filled with tyloses. Usually a rich brown heartwood whereas RO will have pinkish tones in the heartwood. The tyloses in tht WO is a dead giveaway. Could the NE bowl be a soft maple--the color is right. The presence of visible pores on the endgrain would eliminate maple and narrow the choices.

Bill Hensley
02-16-2014, 9:46 AM
Thanks for the input.

I salvaged the cutoffs to study them a little better. I also have some red oak (for sure) recently harvested for firewood. I'll compare the 3.

What is so confusing is the bark of the crotch piece looks like red oak but both bowls that came from it are very white. The other 3 images are from the mystery tree. The bark is unlike red oak and the flat grain in the split piece has smaller pores and doesn't look like any red oak I've ever cut up. The NE bowls have behaved very well, little warping and no splits.

Dennis Ford
02-16-2014, 3:46 PM
There are many (I have heard over 200) varieties of oak; more than half of these will fall in the "Red Oak" category.