PDA

View Full Version : DeVilbiss Compressor

Jim Benante
06-16-2005, 5:55 PM
Anyone own a Devilbiss Compressor?

There is a 7-8 year old used one for sale that I am considering for $150. Looks like use was very light. It is a 20 gallon Pro 4000 4HP unit. Any advice?

I would be mainly buying so that I could spray finishes on furniture that I create.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Becker
06-16-2005, 7:10 PM
I recently sold a similar model to another SMC member. Given the age, you might offer slightly less, especially for an oil-less type.

Phil Ordway
06-17-2005, 12:04 AM
$150 is too much. 20 Gallons is too little. 4HP is probably crapola - 12.A @110VAC = 1HP. Cubic Feet/Min is what you need to research. Oilless are noisy and don't last as long. You can never have too much air.

Jim Benante
06-17-2005, 2:10 AM
Jim and Phil thanks for the advice. I'll wait for a better deal. The seller wouldn't lower the price at all. Seems used compressors show up pretty often. I guess the small ones are always around because folks upgrade. I'll wait it out for a 25-30 gallon tank.

CPeter James
06-17-2005, 8:48 AM
You can never have too much compressed air. After three upgrades, I have an IR Type 30, 5 true hp with a 80 gallon tank. It is almost enough. It does about 16cfm at 180psi and I use both the high unregulated and the regulated pressures.

CPeter

Kurt Forbes
06-17-2005, 9:27 AM
Home depot's husky brand compressors are made by devilbis
I would never get a compressor that old. I would be too worried about rust in the bottom of the tank.

aurelio alarcon
06-17-2005, 11:22 AM
My Porter Cable compressor is made by DeVilbis.

Mike Stanton
06-17-2005, 12:11 PM
I have the husky 60 gallon it is pretty Quiet . Mike :D

nic obie
06-17-2005, 1:11 PM
Hi Jim,

I have the exact same model. It puts out about 8 cfm @ 40 psi which is enough to run my Walcom Geo spray gun. Having only a 20 gal tank isn't a problem, It's the cfm that is important. In fact I prefer a smaller tank. They take up less room and don't take so long to fill.

Having said that, and even though it works good, I'd never buy another. The thing is just too darn loud. The next one I buy will have a cast iron pump that is belt driven.

Chris Barton
06-17-2005, 1:23 PM
Two things to consider when you buy a compressor:

1) What is your primary use going to be? If using nail guns is it then, you will need pressure approaching 100 PSI. If you are using it for spray work, you will rarely need more than 40 PSI.

2) Tanks size. The larger the tank, the less the compressor will cycle, and the easier it will maintain the correct pressure. Small tanks work well for nail guns because they are high pressure, low volume devices. Large tanks work better for high volume applications like spraying, air sanders, air wrenches and sand blasting.

I have a 25 year old Craftsman with a 20 gal tank and it performs just fine for my day to day uses. It can deliver about 100 PSI max and about 8 cfm. I use it for spraying, sanding, nailing, etc... And yes, even though its a Craftsman, it has been a great product.

Now a word about the rust issue; if it has been properly maintained it will not have a rust issue. All compressors should be drained on a monthly basis, and all tanks on compressors should have a drain valve at the bottom to do this very task