PDA

View Full Version : Beall buffing help needed.

Greg McClurg
02-13-2014, 11:25 PM
I recently purchased the Beall buffing system and have a few items that I want to buff. However the pieces are either all walnut or have walnut in them. I read here that you should not use the white diamond on walnut or any dark woods as you won't be able to get the white off. So do I start with tripoli and then go right to wax? Any help is appreciated.

Greg

Scott Hackler
02-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Yes. Unless you sand the walnut using an oil slurry method to fill the pours, you will get traces of the white diamond in them and forget about getting it out! So just use the tripoli and wax.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Greg,

Scott is right and it can happen with any darker, coarse grained woods. The white diamond residue trapped in the larger pores will be quite noticeable!

Thom Sturgill
02-14-2014, 9:48 AM
I generally buff over a light oil finish and do sand with oil to fill the pores. Sometimes I apply and sand sanding sealer first. In most cases, especially if a sealer was applied over the sanding slurry, the wax wheel removes the white stuff, not totally, but enough to be acceptable IMHO. BTW, I no longer use carnuba wax and only use the wheel to clean-up. I apply ren wax and hand buff.

I suggest you prep a scrap and test it.

Greg McClurg
02-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks everyone...that's the information I needed. I'll certainly use a test piece first.