PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use silicone spray to lubricate snowblower shute?

Chad Helme
02-13-2014, 8:17 PM
Hi guys

wondering if anyone has tried the silicone spray lubricant on the snowblower shute? Getting some heavy wet snow here, thought I'd give it a try. Not sure how long before use I should apply the lubricant. Will its lubricating properties decay in the hours that it sits after application, before use? Should I spray immediately before use?

Also wondering if there are benefits to lubricating the auger blades? Or will that hurt the performance of the snowblower? I just don't know. Thinking there may be someone out there who has some experience with these scenarios. Please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Phil Thien
02-13-2014, 9:41 PM
Yep!

I've also used spray wax, and paste wax, pretty much anything on hand.

It all helps.

Sam Murdoch
02-13-2014, 9:53 PM
My brother swears by PAM - or like it - any generic pan spray that's cheap.

Matt Meiser
02-13-2014, 9:57 PM
Don't use silicone spray anywhere near your shop though, lest you create a finishing disaster.

Chad Helme
02-13-2014, 10:02 PM
So, should I assume that lubricant on augers, as well as shute is beneficial to operation?

Kevin Bourque
02-13-2014, 10:36 PM
A good automotive paste wax will work for hours and hours. It's also good for shovels. Some people use spray car wax and it works well too.

Lee Schierer
02-14-2014, 8:16 AM
I spray the auger, impeller and chute on my snow blower. I've never had it clog when I do. WE get plenty of heavy wet snow in NW PA.

Curt Harms
02-14-2014, 8:21 AM
Silicone spray works well on a shovel when the snow it wet and wants to stick. Matt has a good point though - don't spray it where it could find its way onto anything woodworking related. Fisheye for days!

Jim Matthews
02-14-2014, 8:43 AM
I spray the auger, impeller and chute on my snow blower. I've never had it clog when I do. WE get plenty of heavy wet snow in NW PA.

Worst drive of my life was an after hours delivery of a medical device to Erie.
Fine for the trip up from Pittsburgh until I crossed 90.

The visibility was near zero, and all the street lamps were crusted with ice.
It made Buffalo look like Sochi.

Jim Matthews
02-14-2014, 8:46 AM
To answer the OP, I've been using TopCote from Bostik on mine.

I've used PAM and find it ineffective on the really wet stuff.
The big thing to do is maintain the chute in the dry season, to inhibit rust.
Rough surfaces impede the ejected snow.

Mine has an enameled paint coating that's already slik, it's the seams that I want treated
so that the snow can't accumulate on the joint and form a barrier.

It works up to about 29 degrees Farenheit, then the weight of the snow
matters more. I bought a narrow thrower, on the advice of an old hand near
Speculator, NY (he had an Eskimo type knowledge base on snow).

He recommended larger motors, lower capacity augers.

My Husqvarna is more than ten years old, now.
Runs like it was new.

mike holden
02-14-2014, 9:38 AM
I blow snow with a spray can of silicone in my pocket. When the snow starts sticking, I stop, clear the chute, spray heavily, and go on. Makes a huge difference.
Never tried spraying the auger tho, never had snow stick there.
Mike

Myk Rian
02-14-2014, 12:08 PM
I spray silicone on the snow blower parts, and my shovels.

Rudy Ress
02-14-2014, 12:36 PM
I use the DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant on it and also on the snow shovels.

Chad Helme
02-14-2014, 9:46 PM
Awesome. Thanks for all the advice fellas. I blew off the chore today. Threw it in 4 wheel and busted through the ridge left by the town at the end of the driveway so I could get to work. More snow on the way tomorrow. I'm gonna spay the whole darn thing and see how it works. I'll report back if I survive.