PDA

View Full Version : Structural engineer recommendations in Maryland?

trevor adair
02-13-2014, 5:46 PM
Hi folks. Been awhile since I posted, finally finding time for a project. I am redoing a deck and plan on putting a roof over a portion of it. The roof structure will be 16'X16'. I have drawn up plans for both deck and cover and submitted them to Harford County for a permit. The inspector says the deck is ok but I need "engineering" for the roof truss and beam loads. Anyone here had this. Or similar experience, that could recommend an engineer in Harford or Baltimore county I appreciate it.

Steve Peterson
02-14-2014, 11:36 AM
If you are planning to use trusses, then maybe the truss company has a standard engineering form that they can send.

Steve

Edward Oleen
02-15-2014, 2:28 PM
Look in the phone book (remember them?????) (the phone company sent one around each and every year. You could look yourself up in it, and find your own phone number. When I was very little (3-1/2 or so) I used to wonder how they knew our phone number...)

At any rate, look for a local civil engineer. That's the proper name for people who design structures. Architects make them pretty. Civil Engineers make them strong and safe. I'll go with ugly, strong and safe any day.

James Bilsky
02-15-2014, 3:21 PM
Hello

I also live in Harford County, the building inspectors here are very picky and somewhat PITA's

William C Rogers
02-15-2014, 4:21 PM
If you are buying the trusses the supplier will supply the engineer load drawings. They require the same in Indiana Vanderburg county.

trevor adair
02-16-2014, 3:57 PM
Thanks for the not so useful suggestion to look in the phone book Edward. If you read the title it says recommendations, I can find plenty of them with Google but I was hoping someone in this "community" had a good experience with one and I could support that person

trevor adair
02-16-2014, 4:00 PM
It is getting worse over the years. They won't give me any permit until the final inspection is done on the pool. That permit was opened in 1997. I moved in in 2004. Waiting to see what this is gonna cost me

Jim Foster
02-16-2014, 5:20 PM
If you have a "professional" lumber yard in town, they might have several PE's or structural engineers they recommend. That's how I found one locally to sign off on some beams for a renovation project several years back.