PDA

View Full Version : Laser Cutting Lacquer

James Cogbill
02-13-2014, 4:13 PM
Does anybody know if it's safe to laser cut pieces of acrylic that have been painted with lacquer?

Mike Lassiter
02-13-2014, 4:29 PM
I have engraved clear acrylic painted with spray can paint which I painted myself. I think that was enamel paint though. Paint needs to be dried good before lasering it. Don't think I actually cut the acrylic afterwards but don't see why it would hurt it the paint was fully cured first.

David Somers
02-13-2014, 4:41 PM
James,

There are different types of lacquers, including an acrylic based lacquer. I would think any of them would be safe though since the solvents used in them (which can include xylene and toluene depending on the lacquer type) would be gone when the lacquer cures. My only concern would be what the heat of the laser does to the lacquer itself?

You might look at an MSDS sheet on your specific lacquer, and if all looks well there try a sample and see.

Anyone aware of any harm to the laser optics because of lasering lacquer?

Dave

Mike Null
02-14-2014, 6:51 AM
We engrave through lacquer daily in making brass or steel coated plaques. There is a little odor that is quickly evacuated with the blower.

I would do it without giving it a second thought.

David Somers
02-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Mike,

I am curious what settings you use? The only reason I ask is one method to remove finishes like Shellac and Lacquer is heat.

Dave