PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on cufflink display box

Derek Voigt
02-13-2014, 2:14 PM
So I was looking at making a cufflink display box like the one in the picture attached, only out of some exotic wood. I was trying to keep the cost reasonable for the hardware. Does anyone have recommendations for hinges other then the Brusso hinges i normally use? I like them but they are just too pricey.

Also, for the internal portion, I want to have individual compartments. I was looking at buying a premade tray or making wood slates for the divisions. Anyone have experience with both and can offer some advice?

Thanks!
Derek

Yonak Hawkins
02-13-2014, 2:28 PM
Derek, I have bought from Craft-inc : http://craft-inc.myshopify.com/collections/hinges Their prices are reasonable but not the quality of Brusso.

Raymond Fries
02-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Have you ever thought of making wooden hinges? It might be a nice touch. You could get a hinge crafter jig to speed the process.

Enjoy Life...

Derek Voigt
02-16-2014, 3:30 PM
Have you ever thought of making wooden hinges? It might be a nice touch. You could get a hinge crafter jig to speed the process.

Enjoy Life...

I did think about making them, however I want the boxes to have a nice sleek look to it, and self made hinges are usually pretty large.

Tom Blank
02-17-2014, 1:01 AM
Derek,

I made trays like this for granddaughters' jewelry boxes. It was really pretty straight forward. The only two tips I learned and will pass along are to make the material the exact thickness as your saw blade kerf so the half-lap joints are easier to cut and I made the longitudinal divider 1/8" wider than the cross pieces so I could round over the top edge without worrying about what happened at the intersection. I cut blind dados in the sides and ends of the tray to receive the grid. The ring holder in the front cell is fabric glued over folded foam rubber.

Hope that helps,

Tom

Matt Zettl
02-17-2014, 5:15 AM
Derek,

You might want to have a look at these box hinges from Horton Brasses: http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/hinges/specialtyhinges/clockboxhinges. They are solid brass, very well made, come in a variety of finishes, and they are made in America. The service from this company is outstanding. On occasion I have sent an email requesting information, and the reply has been from the owner/president. How often does that happen any more? I have been using these hinges exclusively on small boxes for several years, and have never been disappointed. I believe they are a good value at $10.75/pr. In certain situations, I will use Brusso or Lee Valley hinges, but these are my go-to hinges for simple, small boxes. I have no affiliation with the company, and do not receive anything in return for referrals or recommendations.

I hope this helps.

Matt