PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl Bowl

Toby Bouder
02-13-2014, 1:04 PM
This maple burl has lots of figure but it didn't show very well in its natural color, so I thought dyeing it might help some. Transtint dye, three coats of brush on lacquer sealer, Beall buffed, 2"h x 8"w. Thoughts, Comments, Criticisms, and Questions welcome.

Garth Sheane
02-13-2014, 2:31 PM
I take it that is about an 8" bowl? I like the look and color. How was the dye applied? I dye my bowls by dipping them in fabric dye and I quite like the result.

Bill Hensley
02-13-2014, 6:17 PM
Toby that's another very nice piece. I like all you've posted lately, I guess the ribs have finally healed?

One suggestion and no offense but the stand you use for display is somewhat distracting. Something simple and low key would allow us to focus more on your work. Just saying....

Toby Bouder
02-13-2014, 6:52 PM
Thanks Garth, I just brushed on the transtint dye.

Bill, I am feeling better, just a little discomfort when sleeping. Yes, my photo set up leaves much to be desired. Right now it is just a fabric background and a cfl floodlight and a bounce card, all on top of the chest freezer. I hope to soon have a dedicated area that is somewhat more professional.