PDA

View Full Version : Nova 3 Chuck on a Shopsmith

Jim Hipp
02-12-2014, 3:56 PM
I am a novice turner. I have turned a few pieces with my Shopsmith Mark V and enjoyed it. Wanting to expand my work I was looking for a chuck that would fit my machine and learned that a Nova 3 with an adapter to match the spindle might be the answer. The chuck price from Shopsmith, including the adapter and a Pin Jaw set is $185. Also included was a Wormwood screw. Below is the explanation concerning the screw.

"The 1.889" long by 0.507" diameter screw offers a deep, fine thread that is precision machined all the way to the end of the screw, allowing it to lead easily into a 9/32" diameter pilot hole in soft woods (5/16" for hardwoods) and grip tightly. It features a square shank and locating groove that locks positively into the Nova chuck body."

I am unable to understand this.

Is this needed because I will be using a Shopsmith?

What exactly is the purpose of the screw?

Is this common to all chucks?

Apparently the Nova 3 has a dovetail type jaw. Is this common? More difficult to attach?

Any help would be appreciated.

Link to the Shopsmith site http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/nova_g3.htm

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Brian Morgan
02-12-2014, 4:18 PM
The screw is used to mount a block for turning. Simply drill a 9/32" hole in the piece to be turned, and thread the screw into the hole. The square shank can now be held in the chuck jaws. You can now turn a tenon on the opposite end for holding in the jaws. The hole you drilled for the screw now becomes the beginning of the bowl or vessel interior. The dovetail is no more difficult to install - you have four jaws, with most having two screws for attaching to the chuck body. Jaws are numbered and correspond to numbers on the body.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-12-2014, 4:23 PM
Hi!

There's a guy on the bay that sells a Nova G3 for 125 bucks shipped, with insert of choice. I just checked, and he currently does not have that, but it couldn't hurt to try. Or wait. That even leaves a few bucks to buy pin jaws and still save you a few coins.

The WW screw, is just a way to mount the blank. Nothing special, or "better" than any other screw as far as I know.

Michael Mills
02-12-2014, 6:25 PM
Most chucks use an insert. This allows you use the chuck with a different lathe if you ever wish to.

[/B]What exactly is the purpose of the screw?
Skip over to about 1 hr 4 minutes in the video by Mike Peace.
Apparently the Nova 3 has a dovetail type jaw. Is this common? More difficult to attach?
Most Nova jaws are only dovetailed on the exterior (recess mount), when you get to larger jaws (100mm and larger) they do have a dovetail on the inside (tenon).

Here is a link to the video by Mike Peace (about 1.5 hours) If you have time watch all of it for different holding methods.
He shows Pin Jaws at about 50 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXil-5dEeo

The price from Shopsmith is not a bad price considering the normal G3 and Pin Jaws. You can get the Chuck, 50mm jaws, and wormwood screw for about 125 but the Pin jaws are very helpful.

Mike

Jim Hipp
02-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks to all. The Mike Peace video was especially helpful.

Russell Neyman
02-14-2014, 6:42 AM
The chuck and adapter will work very well, but if you buy it from Shopsmith you'll be overpaying by a wide margin. Most manufacturers will also have the adapter for a Mark V.

The biggest problem you will encounter with this arrangement is vibration due to the light weight of the machine and the narrow and lightweight legs. Try to add ballast of some type or strap the machine down.

Welcome to the "World of Round." If you're ever in my area, feel free to stop by.

Jim Hipp
02-19-2014, 9:37 PM
Thanks for writing. You are absolutely correct about the vibration on a Shopsmith. I have found that a sack of cement or sand helps a lot. As does having sharp tools.