PDA

View Full Version : Ghost image/fuzzy engraving

Dan Ashlin
02-12-2014, 1:06 PM
Hey All,
I did a forum search for fuzzy engraving/ghost image and found a few things that i think might identify my problem, but nothing to fix it and was hoping you all could help. I'm getting a ghost image on the right and left sides of my engraving. I've attached a picture, although its a little hard to see. I think this may be a tickle power issue from what I've read, but I'm not sure. I've cleaned the lens, although I do think I still need a replacement and tried adjusting the backlash. I've also tried single direction engraving and it still occurs, but only on one side of the letter.
Thanks!

Dan

Dan Hintz
02-12-2014, 3:02 PM
Is the ghosting truly on both sides? From the (fuzzy) pic, it looks like the ghost is just on the left. If it was on both sides, I'd suggest looking at the tickle... being on one side, I'd suggest a loose pulley or belt.

AL Ursich
02-12-2014, 3:14 PM
And thinking ouside the box.... My old Epilog has 2 little wood wedges that I place left and right to hold the table "More Stable" at direction change... Just a WAG... Wild AL Guess...

AL

Scott Shepherd
02-12-2014, 3:23 PM
Looks like tickle to me.

Mark Sipes
02-12-2014, 4:01 PM
Is the Ghost every other line - Belt. I would think tickle would affect both sides of image... but can only see one side. ( leap of faith )

Dan Ashlin
02-12-2014, 4:50 PM
The lines do appear on both sides, although in this pic they are not as pronounced on the right. The belt has been tightened and adjusted within an inch of its life, that was what I first suspected the problem was. I took the x-axis belt of and gave is a good going over, but the problem remains. If it is a tickle charge problem does anyone know how to adjust it? I have a legacy laser 1100 series but it seems to be very similar to rabbit lasers.

Bill Stearns
02-12-2014, 5:24 PM
Dad H -
Seemed like I had Dan A's fussy problem once - if I remember, turned out to be my optical/encoder strip needed replacing. (mine is a Epilog 35 W). If this could be the problem, maybe you could suggest it to him, as 'think you know more 'bout this stuff than me. ALSO: want' a thank you - think you're the one who suggested (when engraving photos on black granite) that I convert image to "black" instead of "grayscale" - have been doing this, and photos seem much clearer/nicer-looking. Oh, and might as well ask you this, too - where do I go to put my photo into my profile? - can't seem to figure out how. ? You are indeed a real value to this forum 'n to others. (couldn't figure out how to pvt message you.) -

Bill

Dan Hintz
02-12-2014, 6:10 PM
The lines do appear on both sides, although in this pic they are not as pronounced on the right. The belt has been tightened and adjusted within an inch of its life, that was what I first suspected the problem was. I took the x-axis belt of and gave is a good going over, but the problem remains. If it is a tickle charge problem does anyone know how to adjust it? I have a legacy laser 1100 series but it seems to be very similar to rabbit lasers.
If it is on both sides, then I stand behind my original suggestion of it being a tickle issue. Also, make sure you're not pulling the belt too tight... it should have no slack in it, but if you try to make it tight you can cause all kinds of engraving issues (and do long-term damage).

Dad H -
Seemed like I had Dan A's fussy problem once - if I remember, turned out to be my optical/encoder strip needed replacing. (mine is a Epilog 35 W). If this could be the problem, maybe you could suggest it to him, as 'think you know more 'bout this stuff than me. ALSO: want' a thank you - think you're the one who suggested (when engraving photos on black granite) that I convert image to "black" instead of "grayscale" - have been doing this, and photos seem much clearer/nicer-looking. Oh, and might as well ask you this, too - where do I go to put my photo into my profile? - can't seem to figure out how. ? You are indeed a real value to this forum 'n to others. (couldn't figure out how to pvt message you.) -

Bill
A dirty encoder strip typically results in the engraving randomly shifting in one/both directions... this looks clean (minus the ghosting).

Up top, click on "Forum Actions" and select "Edit Profile" (I think that's where you can put your avatar).

Dan Ashlin
02-12-2014, 6:29 PM
If it is on both sides, then I stand behind my original suggestion of it being a tickle issue. Also, make sure you're not pulling the belt too tight... it should have no slack in it, but if you try to make it tight you can cause all kinds of engraving issues (and do long-term damage).

A dirty encoder strip typically results in the engraving randomly shifting in one/both directions... this looks clean (minus the ghosting).

Up top, click on "Forum Actions" and select "Edit Profile" (I think that's where you can put your avatar).

The belt isn't too tight for sure. Just tight enough to push back against your finger under some light pressure. I'm wondering how exactly I adjust the tickle charge on my machine?

Mark Sipes
02-14-2014, 3:40 PM
It's time to make the call:

Legacy Laser's
814-270-0340
Defiance, PA 16633

Dean@ Legacylasers.com

Dan Ashlin
02-15-2014, 5:03 PM
Already have. Hoping it's a lens problem because no one can guide me on the tickle charge. I'd just like to see if I adjust it if it fixes the problem. I just have no idea how to do it and can't find any info on it. Just trying to eliminate it as a factor.

Mark Sipes
02-15-2014, 5:29 PM
On your Trotec it is a software issue. And most of us on the forum with Trotecs can help you with that setting..