PDA

View Full Version : Our turn for cabin fever here in the cloudy south

Joe Tilson
02-12-2014, 10:48 AM
It snowed a lot yesterday, but was to warm to stay with us. Got up about 6:00 in the am and decided to go to the store to get a few thing to help tide us over (not bread, milk or potatoes). By the time I got ready to go snow had begun to cover the roads. this is not the wet snow of yesterday, it is powder and got slick very quickly. In one hour it got really bad on the roads and, as we live on a hill getting back into the drive way was a trick. It reminded me of our youth in upper east TN delivering papers up what is called Rock Creek going up Unaka Mountain. We moved to SC to get out of that, but every few years we get a reminder of the way things used to be. We don't miss it one bit!!!!

It's really going to be bad this time.

Joe

Tim Boger
02-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Hi Joe,

Lexington S.C. here, we've had about 4 inches sleet/snow so far ... my work place is closed today and tomorrow so I think I'll spend it turning in my woodshop!

So long as the power is on ....

Be safe
Tim

Jim Koepke
02-12-2014, 2:29 PM
We seldom venture off our 5 acres. Well, I do have to walk along an easement and the county road to collect the mail. If someone drives by, that is usually the only time I see another person besides my wife.

Yesterday I decided to drive into town to pick up a few items. I was surprised at how crowded the store happened to be. When my surprise was mentioned, someone said, "everyone is just now digging out of the snow." Dang, I am from the San Francisco area and I didn't know I was snowed in. Isn't that why cars have 4WD?

jtk

Joe Tilson
02-12-2014, 5:37 PM
Tim,
We only have about three inches and sleet. The wind keeps blowing it away. If the power goes off in the house, the shop is on a separate line of power. The last time it was bad like this, we made coffee and cooked in the shop. That makes for some good work time, that is, after we get it warmed up. Tonight we get the back side of the storm,and the weather people say we ain't seen nothin yet!

Joe Tilson
02-12-2014, 5:43 PM
Jim,
I don't get off our .77 acres and we live in town. Having traveled while working, I have become a home body. I walk 50 ft. to the mail box in front and 50 ft. to the shop out back. I lived in Fairfield, CA for a while. I loved going to San Francisco.

Larry Frank
02-12-2014, 7:35 PM
I kind of feel sorry for you down there as I know it is a mess.

But, it is hard to have too much sympathy when we still have 16" of snow on the ground and have had subzero temperatures almost every day.

Keith Outten
02-13-2014, 5:14 AM
We had less than two inches of snow on the ground last night after dinner. During the night it started raining and this morning all the snow is gone :)

I don't mind the snow but the power outages are another issue. I work in my shop at home and haven't burned a quarter tank of gas in three months, guess you can say I don't get out much during the Winter season :)

Paul McGaha
02-13-2014, 5:20 AM
I'd say we have about 6"of snow so far. Supposed to wind up with 10 to 14 inches. A lot of snow for us. It's been a while since we've had this much snow.

Joe Tilson
02-13-2014, 7:58 AM
Paul,
You folks are supposed to get worse than we did. The roads are beginning to thaw here as the temp is about 33* this morning, even with wrap around snow, we probably will be out and about later the afternoon. This isn't bad to us; I'm concerned for the people in SW Virginia and E Kentucky, even upper E Tennessee. they are supposed to to get 12 to 14 inches, and high winds. For you folks with 16" of snow, I'll help you by saying "enough already".

Rich Engelhardt
02-13-2014, 8:26 AM
I really feel for all you good people down South where you seldom get snow.

Snow is magic dust that turns normal drivers into crazed idiots.......

Up North here, the disease clears up quick because it happens every year.

I got a taste of how bad it can be down your way when I got stuck in a blizzard in Texas once on my way to Phx.
There was two inches of snow in Dallas as I drove past on the Interstate and they were saying on the radio how many people had already been killed.

Rick Moyer
02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Snow is a four letter word, so here are two more four letter words for driving in it: SLOW DOWN
You can drive reasonable well in moderate snow (not ice) if you just use some common sense and don't drive like the roads are bare. Easy on the gas and easy on the brakes. Allow a good distance. Of course, even if YOU do that someone will be driving like an idiot so better to just stay home if you can and enjoy the view!

Kevin Bourque
02-13-2014, 10:42 PM
We got 16" of snow in Southeast Pa. last night and it's snowing again right now. They are saying it could be another 3"-6" more.

It is so heavy that I had to clear the driveways with the bucket loader. My compact tractor couldn't cut it.

Last week we had an ice storm, and 8" of snow that knocked the power out for 5 1/2 days.

I'm ready for summer...:)

Paul McGaha
02-14-2014, 8:02 AM
Dulles Airport is right near us, they reported 13"of snow so I guess that's about what we got.

Our power stayed on and the snow plows have cleared the main roads and in our case anyway the secondary roads. The only snow we had to move was our driveway and sidewalks. We're good to go.

I think this is the most snow we've had in 3 or 4 years.

Hope all you creekers are doing ok with the storm. It was a big one.

PHM