PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/4 Hp Porter Cable rebuild?

Larry Edgerton
02-12-2014, 6:36 AM
My motor repair man passed away and the only other shop around here is ridiculous. Yesterday two routers in my panel router decided that this was when they needed to go bad, and my plunge is starting to make the death rattle as well. I am down to one fixed base, so I best get something done with these, and I think I should just learn how to handle it myself.

I never fixed my own motors as I had this awesome old guy that was fair and did a nice job, so I am in the dark here. If someone has done this I could use some advise to maybe avoid some dumb mistakes. I have pullers and a press if needed. Best place to buy parts?

Thanks, Larry

Larry Edgerton
02-12-2014, 6:48 AM
I have 3 PC 310's that need bearings as well so if you have rebuilt one of these pointers would be appreciated as well. I only have four left!:p

Larry

Jerome Stanek
02-12-2014, 7:33 AM
The hardest part of replacing the bearings is getting the nut off. We use an air impact for that as it spins the nut before the shaft can catch up. try this link to see how to do it

http://reproductionwoodworks.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-replace-bearings-in-porter-cable.html

Larry Edgerton
02-12-2014, 7:42 AM
Thank you Jerome, that will guide me well.

Larry

Larry Edgerton
02-13-2014, 6:16 AM
Anyone done a 310 trimmer?

Larry

david brum
02-13-2014, 9:01 AM
Anyone done a 310 trimmer?

I replaced the bearings in one last year. I'm a little foggy about it now, but I don't remember that it was difficult. There's not much going on inside one of those.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Larry
Check this out http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183786-Replacing-Router-Bearings-Porter-Cable-7539&highlight=porter+cable+router Tom

Carroll Courtney
02-15-2014, 5:59 PM
I would start with a full size parts diagram and list,maybe a source for parts before starting to take it apart.My mind forgets what it did the day before---Carroll

Charles Lent
02-16-2014, 7:47 AM
Get a digital camera and take pictures as you go so it's easy to remember the sequence. Take some notes too. After you've done a few you probably won't need to do this anymore. A bearing press will really help. Be careful to remove the brushes before pulling the armature. Write down how the wires are connected and/or label them. There are several online parts sources that have exploded views of the tools and parts lists online, so these will help too. I usually order from www.ereplacementparts.com but there are others.

Charley

Jerome Stanek
02-16-2014, 9:17 AM
When I was putting it back together I warmed the bearing and put the armature in the freezer. The bearing slide right on