PDA

View Full Version : Something different

Dennis Ford
02-11-2014, 6:07 PM
This is turned from Water Elm (Planera Aquatica) and is ~12" tall. The diameter varies due to the natural edge (max radius is about 6 inches). I think this piece needs a name and have been struggling with coming up with one, for now it is "Parabolic Revolution". Comments and critiques welcome.

Roger Chandler
02-11-2014, 6:12 PM
Looks like an apple core!

Dennis Ford
02-11-2014, 6:20 PM
Looks like an apple core!

I did not think about that but you are right, it does resemble an apple core.

Roger Chandler
02-11-2014, 6:23 PM
I did not think about that but you are right, it does resemble an apple core.

The skillset required to do this is obviously complex.........so my observation was not a criticism on your work.....on the contrary, I think it is a neat form! The first thought that popped in my head was that it resembled an apple after it had been nearly eaten. :)

Reed Gray
02-11-2014, 6:46 PM
I was thinking Worm Hole or Vortex of some sort.... Yea, I love Star Trek...

robo hippy

allen long
02-11-2014, 7:21 PM
Newton's Core!

Dick Mahany
02-11-2014, 7:22 PM
Looks like it may have been the center of the "Polar Vortex":D. Now I'm scratching my head on how you possibly held this on the lathe !

Scott Hackler
02-11-2014, 7:39 PM
Whatever the name, I like it!

Harry Robinette
02-11-2014, 8:21 PM
I'm with Scott,beautiful.

Rob Price
02-11-2014, 8:22 PM
How in the world did you mount that to the lathe?!

Looks very cool. Apple core was my first thought.

Michelle Rich
02-12-2014, 6:43 AM
whatever you call the whatchamacallit, it is very interesting.

Dennis Ford
02-12-2014, 9:14 AM
How in the world did you mount that to the lathe?!

Looks very cool. Apple core was my first thought.

Mounting is the big challenge for this shape. I used multiple techniques (some of them break the "rules"):
* Started between centers and flattened one end
* Mounted on a faceplate - shaped outside, drilled the length and did quite a bit of hollowing but left a "doughnut" with a recess for chuck
* Reversed onto a chuck in expansion mode (gently as this was end grain) and finished one end
* Reversed again onto a custom turned mandrel and attached with hot melt glue to remove "doughnut" and blend center, then turned away end of mandrel to release from hot glue

I found this project in a magazine that I had checked out of my club's library; believe it was June, 2006 edition of "Woodturning". It was a fun project to do.

Expanding a chuck into end grain (or mounting with hot melt glue) is not a very secure method and requires safety precautions and light bevel-rubbing cuts. Should not be attempted by beginners.

steven carter
02-12-2014, 10:35 AM
I like it! I don't know why but the first thing in my head looking at it was Alice in Wonderland, through the looking glass.

Scott Lux
02-12-2014, 11:14 AM
It's a hyperboloid by shape. But that's not a very good name. I'm with Reed. Wormhole. Rush did a song (two actually) about a journey through a black hole, Cygnus X-1. So that's my suggestion, Cygnus X-1

Ed Aumiller
02-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!