PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Circle, No not the band

Jon Wilson
02-11-2014, 5:19 PM
I'm in the process of planning out a clock for my wife.

The face is going to be a circle; which leads to my question...

What is the easiest way to make a perfect circle?

I have a table saw, band saw, router & jig saw to work with.

I've come across a couple different ways of achieving my desired outcome
but I want to know how you would do it?!?

I always end up with a piece that needs ALOT of sanding
and while doing the sanding I end up taking the piece out of round.

As always,TIA

Huck Schwee
02-11-2014, 5:30 PM
Router and jig is by far the easiest to get a accurate circle with: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Router-Circle-Cutting-Jig/

glenn bradley
02-11-2014, 5:44 PM
Router or bandsaw, either would work for me. I have modified this design somewhat since I made a few table tops with it and it is primarily for larger circles but, you get the idea.

282265 . 282266 . 282267 . 282268

282269 . 282270 . 282271 . 282272

Remember to use a narrow blade if you are doing smaller circles on the bandsaw. When using a router I will cut the circle only about 1/4" deep. I then bandsaw the waste away and use a flush bit to complete the part.

Steve Milito
02-11-2014, 6:18 PM
I use a jasper jig. You can make your own, but the jasper is inexpensive and works well.

http://www.jaspertools.com/

Buck Williams
02-11-2014, 6:35 PM
Router or bandsaw, either would work for me. I have modified this design somewhat since I made a few table tops with it and it is primarily for larger circles but, you get the idea.

282265 . 282266 . 282267 . 282268

282269 . 282270 . 282271 . 282272

Remember to use a narrow blade if you are doing smaller circles on the bandsaw. When using a router I will cut the circle only about 1/4" deep. I then bandsaw the waste away and use a flush bit to complete the part.

I like that very much. What did you use for the track and the sliding track insert. Also very ingenious use of the miter slot in the bandsaw table to square the platform up with the blade, and I like your solution for the far side support of the platform. I think I'm going to have to steal that one. Thanks

glenn bradley
02-11-2014, 7:22 PM
I like that very much. What did you use for the track and the sliding track insert. Also very ingenious use of the miter slot in the bandsaw table to square the platform up with the blade, and I like your solution for the far side support of the platform. I think I'm going to have to steal that one. Thanks

I believe that is miter track from Peachtree. Not the most high end track I have ever used but, for this purpose it has served me well. Let me see . . . Ah, here it (http://www.ptreeusa.com/ttrackproducts.htm#1033) is. I have since cut out sections of the flat surface to reduce weight. I still have the large surface, just with cutouts in non-critical areas.

Charles Lent
02-12-2014, 6:17 AM
Glen's method works very well, but if you won't be making very many round pieces you don't need the T track. Just drill a hole the distance from the blade that you need and place your pivot pin in it. In fact, just a screw driven up from the bottom will work as the pivot pin. Of course, if you like to make fancy jigs, Glen's method is the way to go.

A router will cut a smoother edge on your circle than the band saw. You need to make a similar board and pivot pin and then attach it to your router base and use a straight or spiral bit, or you can cut the piece on the band saw slightly large (1/8") and then use a router table with a pivot pin the correct distance from the bit to trim the edge of the round piece to it's final dimension. It will be perfectly round, and have a smooth edge.

Charley