PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day Present

Kurt Aebi
06-16-2005, 1:36 PM
I was asked by a co-worker to make a Pen & Pencil set with a Box for him to give his father for Father's Day. What ae ego boost that is that a friend would feel so confident in your ability that he would want you to make such a special gift for him.

I picked out a couple of nice Ambrosia Maple blanks that I got from our good buddy Jim K for this special project, and a nice piece of spalted maple for the box.

I think they came out pretty well. I have to install the brass hardware onto the box yet, but will be finished tonight and won't get a chance to get a picture before delivery.

Here they are!

Jeff Sudmeier
06-16-2005, 1:37 PM
Wow Kurt! They really look great. I am sure he will be proud to give them as a gift.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-16-2005, 2:29 PM
You definitely came through in the clutch! He will LOVE it.

Bruce

Gary Max
06-16-2005, 5:27 PM
Real nice job---the box sure makes the set complete.

Michael Stafford
06-16-2005, 5:42 PM
The finely crafted box makes the pen set quite an attractive package. Well done, Kurt, well done indeed!!! ;) :) :)

Ernie Nyvall
06-16-2005, 6:23 PM
Those look good Kurt and the box will be a real surprise.

I'd say it's an ego boost. So far I've been telling people "Here this is yours and you must take it or it will hurt my feelings".

Ernie

Karl Laustrup
06-16-2005, 7:04 PM
Those are great looking pens, Kurt. And the box ain't too shabby either. :) :D

I put some felt in the one you made for my wife and it worked great. I used the peel and stick. It really cushions the pens and keeps them from rattling around in there.

Karl

Kurt Aebi
06-24-2005, 9:36 AM
Great Tip, Karl.

I think I'm going to give it a try with the self-stick felt. If it works well, I may but one of those Flocker Kits.

John Miliunas
06-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Lookin' good, Ken! Nice job on all.:) While I'm sure Karl's idea works nicely, once you go to flocking compartments like that, you'll wonder why you didn't try it earlier! You have to pay special attention to how you mask off the area, but the results are magnificent and real pro looking.:) :cool:

Kurt Aebi
06-24-2005, 1:56 PM
John,

Great to see ya back online! Must be the surgery went well (you can type on a computer). How soon 'til ya can try turnin' again??

Congrats! on becoming a Grandpa as well!

John Miliunas
06-24-2005, 3:07 PM
John,

Great to see ya back online! Must be the surgery went well (you can type on a computer). How soon 'til ya can try turnin' again??

Congrats! on becoming a Grandpa as well!

Thanks Kurt, but this is YOUR thread!!!:) The doc says the surgery went well. I say that it still hurts a LOT!:( A month in the cast, then at least, two more months without putting too much stress on it. They say it takes up to a year for "good" use for some folks. I'm officially an old fart now, so the healing will probably take a while.:o BUT, as soon as the cast is off, I think I'm going to try some pens!:D :cool:

Kurt Aebi
06-24-2005, 4:20 PM
That's Okay, I'll share :D

Great to hear and make sure you heal correctly! It's tough being old, ain't it!

Thanks for the testimonial on Flocking - maybe I'll skip right to that, then.

Carole Valentine
06-24-2005, 4:37 PM
Fabulous work, Kurt. I also recommend the flocking. I use it in the drawers on band saw boxes. It's great stuff. Just be sure you mask carefully, use plenty of adhesive and put waaaay more flocking on that you think you need. Let it cure thoroughly before you gently puff off the excess (into a container to be reused!)