PDA

View Full Version : circle cutting jig for bandsaw

Craig Zettle
06-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know of a pattern for a circle cutting jig for a bandsaw? Seems like a simple project, but I like patterns, because it enables me to learn from other peoples mistakes.

Tyler Howell
06-16-2005, 1:59 PM
Norm has a pattern in his selection of shop jigs.

George Summers
06-16-2005, 6:05 PM
Where are you lacated geographically? There may be a member who is close and will be able to show you their's or come by and help you make yours.

George

Craig Zettle
06-16-2005, 9:28 PM
I live in the railroad capital of the world, Altoona, PA. There is ALWAYS a railroad nut who has been here. (Home of the world famous Horseshoe Curve).

Ron Taylor
06-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Craig, I'm sure there are more complicated jigs that will, perhaps, do more that cut a simple round piece, but I've been using the same one for nearly 20 years. It is a 1"X10" shelf board, simple enough that I think I can describe it without pictures. Mine is about 30 inches long. I cut a ''T" slot from one end, in about six inches. The leg of the "T" allows me to slide the board onto the BS table, the blade passing into the "T". The arms of the "T" allow forward and backward movement of the blade while cutting. A straight line is marked down the center of the board for its entire length. Along this line I drilled small holes the size of a finishing nail at 1/4" intervals and about 1/2" deep. A length of the same size nail is cut to 5/8" and sharpened on one end.

Thats the jig, now for its use.

1. Slide the jig onto the saw table, blade centered in the arms of the "T". Clamp temporarily. Support the length of the board with a T-stand if necessary.

2. Measure out from the saw blade along the length of the board to the hole that is nearest to the radius of your desired circle and insert the pin, point out. Measure again and reposition the jig with the pin at the exact radius of your desired circle. Re-clamp sufficiently to handle the weight of your work piece.

3. Select a work piece blank that is big enough for your circle, place it on the board, bad side down, push it against the blade so that the blade deflects slightly, press down to secure the work piece on the pin, (Some care should be taken here that the center of the future circle is on the pin), turn the saw on, and spin the workpiece against the cutting edge of the blade.

That's it. My thirty inch jig will cut a circle from a couple inches up to about 5 feet in diameter with perfect results every time. This jig is so simple that one can be constructed on the fly for a particular circle from a scrap piece of board.

Good Luck.

Ron Taylor
06-17-2005, 10:41 AM
One other thing Craig....

The simple jig that I described above can also be used to cut circles on a table saw or a radial arm saw. I've done both with excellent results. One major caveat here is that the work piece must be precut nearly to the desired circle with something like a hand-held jig saw then perfected on the TS or RAS. The waste wood must be so narrow that waste breaks away from the circle as it passes by the blade and the jig must be placed so that the leading edge of the blade is at a perfect tangent to the arc of the desired circle so that the circle moves away from the blade as it progresses around.

Please be very cautious if you try this. It is as safe as any other wood shop operation if done correctly. If done incorrectly, it can have disastrous results in several dimensions.

Craig Zettle
06-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Thank you Ron, seems simple enough. I'll give it a try, and if I fail miserably I will post again demanding pictures.

Craig