PDA

View Full Version : How to keep the lid closed on a sliding lid boxes ??

Bill Huber
02-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I have made a few sliding lid boxes but I am not sure how to keep them closed. I make them loose enough so they will slide easy and will not get really tight when I put finish on them or the weather changes but still wind-up with a loose lid that will slide out if the box is tilted.

So what is the best way to keep them tight but can still be opened when the weather changes?

This is the type box I am talking about.

Trevor Howard
02-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Could your design allow for a rare earth magnet to be mounted somewhere to keep lid closed?

Bill Huber
02-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Could your design allow for a rare earth magnet to be mounted somewhere to keep lid closed?

These boxes have a magnet in the front and a small metal disk in the top, it works ok but there has to be a better way. The boxes are only made with 1/4" stock so there is not much room to add the magnet. I used 1/8" round magnets on them and as I said it works but that is about it, just works.

Jim Rimmer
02-11-2014, 1:03 PM
I've only made a couple of sliding lid boxes and I used the rare earth magnet so I can't help much. Maybe a vertical decorative piece that slides up and down on the end of the box. I guess gravity would keep it down all the time unless it was in a pretty tight slot.

Do you make the dominoes, too?

Sam Murdoch
02-11-2014, 1:12 PM
Nice boxes Bill. I would consider adding a little lanyard that could wrap around a button or a bead or loop of some sort. The button could be sewed onto the lid or the end of the box and the lanyard simply pulled through a hole and knotted inside on which ever surface doesn't get the button. A chance to introduce a bit of color or a personal touch - much like a Japanese Netsuke if you know the intended end user. You could lose the magnet.

Bill Huber
02-11-2014, 1:18 PM
I've only made a couple of sliding lid boxes and I used the rare earth magnet so I can't help much. Maybe a vertical decorative piece that slides up and down on the end of the box. I guess gravity would keep it down all the time unless it was in a pretty tight slot.

Do you make the dominoes, too?

Well I just may have to stick with the magnets, they work but I don't like installing them and then there is the metal disk. I punched them out with a metal punch and then it is hard to get them nice and flat.

Yes, I made the dominoes, I use the Rockler template and Woodcraft veneer, kind of a fun project.

Bruce Page
02-11-2014, 1:29 PM
Could you use something like this with a corresponding dimple in the lid?

Ball plunger .125 (http://www.amazon.com/CL-2-PBP-1-Carr-Lane-Press-Fit-Plunger/dp/B00HFXXFAM/ref=sr_1_83?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1392143160&sr=1-83&keywords=ball+plunger)

Mel Fulks
02-11-2014, 1:29 PM
I've seen some that had a wood spring lever pin thing that had to be pressed down to open.

Bill Huber
02-11-2014, 1:32 PM
Could you use something like this with a corresponding dimple in the lid?

Ball plunger .125 (http://www.amazon.com/CL-2-PBP-1-Carr-Lane-Press-Fit-Plunger/dp/B00HFXXFAM/ref=sr_1_83?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1392143160&sr=1-83&keywords=ball+plunger)

Now that looks like a good idea, I just may have to order some of those, I didn't know they made them that small.

Thanks......

Anthony Whitesell
02-11-2014, 1:43 PM
Another option would be two magnets. Almost twice the holding power.

Yonak Hawkins
02-11-2014, 2:44 PM
How about widening the end of the lid slide a little bit and then cutting small relief slits (you could even cut them with a knife to keep them narrow) to give it a little spring ? The slits could be hidden by the box slots unless the lid is completely removed. However, it could be easily damaged, for sure. Another option would be to make the spring part of the box sides. That way, it would not be exposed to damage, but would be a little more work. Maybe there's a metal strip that could act similarly as a spring mounted on the inside of the box sides at the slots.

Yonak Hawkins
02-11-2014, 3:15 PM
Bill, the more I think about this . . . How about adding an extra-deep section, say, 1/2" long, to the dado in one the sides .. then cutting a metal or plastic (you could use plastic from a yogurt container, for instance) strip a little bit narrow of the dado and a little bit longer than the deep section and squeeze it in so it bows out enough to contact the lid slide ? You could use a plastic container that is dark brown and may not be too noticeable.

Jim Tobias
02-11-2014, 6:12 PM
Bill,
I know you have tried magnets but just wanted to offer this site where I have purchased very small rare earth magnets before for uses such as yours. They have them down to 1/32" thick and all sizes and shapes. 2 of the small ones facing each other would hold it shut. You could drill out the shallow hole for these with a lipped brad point bit very easily.
Jim

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

Lee Schierer
02-11-2014, 8:03 PM
I don't have any photos, but I made some boxes with sliding lids and made my own ball detents using old click type ball point springs and small ball bearings inserted into a drilled hole in the side of the box. I drilled a small divot on the under side of the sliding lid to lock the lid in place. However, you have to make sure that the lid can't pull all the way out or the ball will pop completely out and get lost.

Bruce Page
02-11-2014, 8:04 PM
Interesting website. I wonder what you would use a 4” diameter X 1” thick magnet for or how you would even handle it. :eek:

Bill,
I know you have tried magnets but just wanted to offer this site where I have purchased very small rare earth magnets before for uses such as yours. They have them down to 1/32" thick and all sizes and shapes. 2 of the small ones facing each other would hold it shut. You could drill out the shallow hole for these with a lipped brad point bit very easily.
Jim

Frederick Skelly
02-11-2014, 8:49 PM
Bill, Im not teasing when I say this - use 2 magnets, separated by an inch or so. Not great, but it should work. I had to do something similar on a project of mine and the second one made a noticable difference.

Hope it helps!
Fred

Rick Moyer
02-11-2014, 8:53 PM
Bill,
Jim

My box of magnets just came today from them!

Daniel Hartmann
02-11-2014, 10:55 PM
It's too late for these boxes but I make a lot of little boxes like this and I carefully plane my lids so they slide about 90% of the way easily and fiction fit the rest of the way. I usually cut rabbets in the lid and I'll use my shoulder plane to remove material to dial in the fit I want. Basically I leave the last bit of the lid that slides into the groove a little fat.

Lee Reep
02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
+1 for KJ Magnetics.

Bill McDermott
02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
It would take some experimenting, but if there was no tongue on the last two inches (maybe?), then the handle end of the lid would be free to flex up - assuming the lid material is thin and flexible enough. Then it could be made with a small dado that snapped down over the side of the box when the lid was fully closed. You could open it by lifting the flexible end of the lid while sliding the dado clear of the wall. This will require a bit of overhang to get a place to lift. Hmmm. I wonder if you can see what I am trying to explain. I've never done this, but have made a variety of flexible wood drawer catches along the same theme.

Michael Mahan
02-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Sweet Domino's & Boxes !
got a link to those Rockler templates ?

Jim Matthews
02-12-2014, 8:50 AM
Would a strip of velco, at the closed end of the rabbet work?

It's mechanical, but easily applied with scissors and glue.
It would be impervious to seasonal changes, to boot...

http://www.velcro.com/Products/Adhesive-Backed/Everyday/Press-and-Close.aspx#.Uvt8BvldVIo

Daniel Moore
02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Nice looking boxes.

What about placing a thin, self-adhesive backed, poly tape in the rear end groove/slot to narrow the space? Or, add to the thickness of the tongue at the read end. The lid will be held in place when it is full closed; otherwise, it will slide freely.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that I was at the end of the thread and all has already been suggested.

Jim Rimmer
02-13-2014, 2:03 PM
Interesting website. I wonder what you would use a 4” diameter X 1” thick magnet for or how you would even handle it. :eek:

718 pound pull. Yikes :eek:

Jim Matthews
02-13-2014, 2:22 PM
Nice looking boxes.

What about placing a thin, self-adhesive backed, poly tape in the rear end groove/slot to narrow the space? Or, add to the thickness of the tongue at the read end. The lid will be held in place when it is full closed; otherwise, it will slide freely.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that I was at the end of the thread and all has already been suggested.

It's still a good idea.
It's not a race - you're among some clever people.

Wish I had thought of it...

Edward Oleen
02-15-2014, 2:52 PM
Ya gotta just LOOOOOVE Amazon and Mr. Bezos...

$10.57 for a $2.97 item... ain't capitalism great.

And he treats the people who get it out of the box in an enormous warehouse like slaves...

Yes, they work great. I have used a bigger (in diameter) version of them for some boxes I made. The end with the ball detent was thicker, of course, 3/4" as I recall. I explained away the thick end by doing some fluting on it "to make it look nice..."

The judges bought it... and I won a prize, which was all that counted.

Brian Holcombe
02-15-2014, 3:43 PM
Bill,

Gorgeous work!

I've used these before; http://www.brusso.com/bc-263/

They've worked nicely in situations where I did not want visible hardware.

Dan Lee
02-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Ya gotta just LOOOOOVE Amazon and Mr. Bezos...

$10.57 for a $2.97 item... ain't capitalism great.

And he treats the people who get it out of the box in an enormous warehouse like slaves...

Yes, they work great. I have used a bigger (in diameter) version of them for some boxes I made. The end with the ball detent was thicker, of course, 3/4" as I recall. I explained away the thick end by doing some fluting on it "to make it look nice..."

The judges bought it... and I won a prize, which was all that counted.

Ships from and sold by Jerico Inc..

Timothy Powers
03-26-2017, 1:47 PM
I cut a circular button from hardwood. abut 3/8" thick and an inch or so in diameter. drill a hold offset from the center. This gives a cam action. Attach to the face of the sliding lid box so that the button when rotated up, prevents the lid from sliding out. When rotated down it is out of the way of the box lid which can then be slid out to open the box. The button is attached with a screw. You can use a fiber, leather, or similar washer if needed to provide a good friction fit to keep the button tight.

Enjoy,

Tim

I have made a few sliding lid boxes but I am not sure how to keep them closed. I make them loose enough so they will slide easy and will not get really tight when I put finish on them or the weather changes but still wind-up with a loose lid that will slide out if the box is tilted.

So what is the best way to keep them tight but can still be opened when the weather changes?

This is the type box I am talking about.

John Lankers
03-26-2017, 6:31 PM
You could search LeeValley for bullet catches, they are unobtrusive and designed for this kind of application.

Charles Lent
03-27-2017, 5:39 AM
A pair of rare earth magnets, rather than one and a piece of steel, will give you almost 2X the holding force. You could also make the end of the box thicker to provide room at it's top for a larger diameter magnet. Unless the top is completely removed, no one will even notice the thickness of the box end. Then a magnet in the under side of both ends of the lid would not only hold the lid closed, but stop it before it pulled all the way out of the box.

Charley