PDA

View Full Version : Who can tune this saw?

Hilton Ralphs
02-11-2014, 10:38 AM
This is a Bahco 296 and has the following specs;

30 inches long
Polished blade
Flat back and un ground teeth
Specially made for musical applications
Traditional wood handle with brass hardware

George Wilson, Ron Bontz, Isaac Smith?

Gary Kman
02-11-2014, 11:15 AM
What key do you want to play in?

Jim Koepke
02-11-2014, 12:06 PM
What key do you want to play in?

Maybe any of the Florida keys?

jtk

Steve Rozmiarek
02-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Well not me for sure, I tried it with that copper bladed one I posted about a few days back, musical saw tuning is not in my future.

Jim Koepke
02-11-2014, 2:59 PM
Do the nuts in the handle work like tuning pegs on a stringed instrument? :D

I was at a party once were one of the musicians had a Disston made musical saw. He tried to teach a few of us to play it. It just didn't work for me.

jtk

Ron Bontz
02-11-2014, 3:21 PM
Sounds to me like George needs to get his hammer and anvil back out and properly tension that plate to the right key. But would it be the key of C ,B flat,or perhaps F#? That's the question. ;):D

Bob Glenn
02-11-2014, 4:03 PM
I've heard Sir Roy plays a mean saw.

Joe Bailey
02-11-2014, 4:32 PM
pretty sure this is the appropriate time to dust off an old saying:
"you can tuna fish, but you can't tune a saw."

Jonas Andersson
02-11-2014, 4:42 PM
I have one of those. It's a "modern" saw so the only reason, I think, they didn't market it as a big rip saw is because it was no big market for those when they made them. More people wanted to buy a music saw then a old fassion rip saw I guess.

william sympson
02-11-2014, 5:43 PM
So has anyone use this saw as wood cutting tool?

george wilson
02-11-2014, 7:31 PM
I used to bug my employees in the instrument shop by occasionally playing a saw for the tourists. The trick is to bend it in a S curve and bend it harder for high notes. Not very hard to do.

I think it was funny for Marcus Hansen to tell the tourists that he thought the theremin was the instrument of the future,then complain about the tonality of the saw. Both "instruments" sound the same!!:) I HOPE the theremin is not the instrument of the future. It was good for sound effects in sic-fi movies. That's about it for either of them.

Gary Kman
02-19-2014, 8:58 PM
I have been having wonderful results with a theremin. I am frequently found in my Lazy Boy in the evening reading an ebook on my android tablet minding my own business. Then wife's texting sound starts like some spastic runaway telegraph. After a few minutes of this torture I pull up my android theremin app and start playing an accompaniment with her. For some reason she prefers to solo so texting goes to a far corner of the house. Ahhhhhhhhhh!

allen long
02-20-2014, 1:43 PM
Didn't Stevie Wonder have an album out years ago with saw music. I think it was called "Saws in the Key of Life."