PDA

View Full Version : new router

Mike Steinhilper
06-16-2005, 12:04 PM
On the topic of routers, I am trying to decide the best all-around mid-priced/fixed base router for later adaption to a table. Suggestions? I currently use a cumbersome B&D plunge router that weighs about 100 lbs. I need a lighter weight fixed base that will be easy to install in a table later...

Russell Svenningsen
06-16-2005, 12:31 PM
I have heard great things about the Ryobi routers. They have a nice plunge/fixed base package. Good luck.

Russell

Jim Becker
06-16-2005, 12:33 PM
I like the multi-base kits, such as the PC 890 or Dewalt DW618, for the versatility you want. These 12 amp units have enough power to do a reasonable job in a table when you need it, yet are light enough in weight to be comfortably usable in the hand.

Kent Cori
06-16-2005, 1:15 PM
I used my Bosch 1617EVSPK router combo for this purpose. You can get a dedicated base for the router cabinet for about $25 from Tool Crib that will allow you to just remove the motor when you want to use it in a hand-held mode. This has been a great approach for me.

Lee DeRaud
06-16-2005, 1:24 PM
I have heard great things about the Ryobi routers. They have a nice plunge/fixed base package. Good luck.BTDT. If you use the Ryobi in a table, use the plunge base with the springs removed. The fixed base depth adjuster really doesn't like having sawdust fall into it from the "wrong" side.

Steve Cox
06-16-2005, 1:27 PM
I'm using a large Milwaukee in a table. It has features that make it more table freindly like above the table adjustment and protection for dust falling into it from the "wrong side". I believe that the smaller routers also have these features. It would be worth taking a look at.

Bob Noles
06-16-2005, 1:51 PM
It is very hard to beat the DW618. Excellent reviews and I own 2