PDA

View Full Version : Neander chest build-Part 5

Mike Allen1010
02-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Latest set of build pics. earlier steps are in history here. Desrciption and pics are wearing me out (mostly my limited I.T. skills) so please forgive the egregious typos sure to occur).

going mostly pics w/ minimal description because don't hear much back. First turning efforts required by project- I'm totally clueless.
My Dad had a lathre he's had in storage for 30 years in the original box (God bless my Dad!).

glued up quartered stock for later splitting turnings.

Took me most of weekend to assemble (e.g. "I've tightened the tailstock and tool rest as tight as they'll go and they still arn't solid.... wait a minute maybe these little brass clinders figuire in this process?...). Fear of commitment-Bench space is most valuable commodity in my shop and I'm not sold I want to do much turning (rapidly spinning chunchs of wood= very scary), so mounted lathe on plywood I can clamp to bench and then move. bought cheapest turning tools on auction site and spent forever sharpening- not fun.

Finally got to try actual tool to wood contact and was pretty fun although my results are less than what I was aspiring to. Intial turning conclusions:

1) Lots of sharpening-probabaly poor steel in my tools?

2) Kind of like combat - minutes of things going smoothly followed by seconds of terror when tool seems like it could go through my throat ( makes it sounds like edge but certainly cause was operator error).

3) Round shapes are cool- probabaly worth a little more time.

Mike Allen1010
02-10-2014, 10:20 PM
spent severl hours building elaborate jig to move router over turning on lather for fluting - loser!

finally realized bench was best jig. another reason why I like the twin screw face vice.

final pics- I'm done- hope it was of intereast to my fellow neanders. The rest will be offline.

Cheers!!!, Mike

Malcolm Schweizer
02-11-2014, 6:28 AM
Looks great! Are you not going to let us see it all together (drawers installed, hardware on) and varnished?

Chris Griggs
02-11-2014, 9:21 AM
Coming along great! Nice work on those moldings and the columns!

Christopher Charles
02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Also agree that it looks grwat and will also plead for some final pics when complete. Thanks for making yhe effort to share.

C

Pat Barry
02-11-2014, 1:36 PM
Hey Mike, that's a cool way of doing the flutes with your router. Nice project.

Pinwu Xu
02-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Great work and the lathe part is, well, don't know what to say.

Thinking that I'll wait till you are done with the project and compile all the writings and photos together.

Patrick McCarthy
02-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Mike, I am sure I speak for many here, especially given the view count on you multiple parts/posts: Excellent work, very humbling to us fledglings, very informative, great pictures (worth a thousand words each) and very appreciative. Thank you mucho.

Best regards, Patrick

Mike Allen1010
02-13-2014, 9:05 PM
[QUOTE=Patrick McCarthy;2224798]Mike, I am sure I speak for many here, especially given the view count on you multiple parts/posts: Excellent work, very humbling to us fledglings, very informative, great pictures (worth a thousand words each) and very appreciative. Thank you mucho.

Thanks all for your very kind comments.

Patrick, great to hear from you I hope life is treating you and yours well up there in God's country on California's central coast!

Sorry all for the pathetic, whiny nature of my last post. Somehow on my computer I don't see the number of views, which really doesn't matter anyway as the intent is simply to share with my fellow neanders. I've learned so much here in the Cave and very much appreciate the community, I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate.

I'm not as young as I used to be and have been working super long hours last month. I guess I've been feeling a little sorry for myself and under appreciated in general, which is absolutely embarrassing to admit. Truth is I'm lucky and grateful to have a job.

I hope to have a little time to work on building drawers this weekend, which I really enjoy – fast and simple saw, plane and chisel work with a tangible result at the end. I will certainly post some pictures when I'm finished with everything.

All the best, Mike

Patrick McCarthy
02-13-2014, 9:14 PM
Hey buddy , the view count shows as 488. Pretty sure that many haven't viewed all my post combined that many times.

Hope to see you one of these days, Patrick

Patrick McCarthy
02-13-2014, 9:23 PM
BUT, to be candid, ya gotta remember the old adage about what sells: sex, drugs, and ROCK N' ROLL!

Proof of that: Julie, George and John are over 12,000 views on the guitar thread.

Brett Robson
02-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Wow that's really looking great!

Is yours built full-scale to the plans in the book? Maybe you covered this earlier and I've forgotten. It's hard to judge scale from the pictures.

Regardless, you've done a fantastic job and I look forward to seeing the finished piece!

Mike Allen1010
02-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks Brett,

I reduce height and width by about 15% from the plan in the book so the top would be eye level (I'm 6'). The original his a sub top below level of moulding because top of chest is well above eye level. I added a solid wood top - have to have some place to put the essentials when changing clothes- phone, pocket change and a beer! I kept depth the same.

Cheers, Mike