PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hole Question -- Rail and Stile Face Frame

George Bokros
02-10-2014, 7:29 PM
I am building a small cabinet my wife wants. The material is 3/4" thick sugar pine. The design dictates that the rails be on the narrow side. One will be only 1" wide, two will be 1 1/4" wide and the last one will be 1 3/4" wide which should be ok with two screws.. Can I put one pocket hole screw in the rail to attach it to the stiles without splitting the rail? I know that is not totally stable, could twist, but I will also glue the stiles to the rails.

Thanks

George

Rich Riddle
02-10-2014, 7:48 PM
George,

The cabinet below has 1" horizontal rails on the right half of the cabinet between the lower door and each of the three drawers. Those 1" rails were installed with one screw in a pocket hole at each joint and glued. It works. Best wishes and good luck.

George Bokros
02-10-2014, 7:50 PM
Thanks Rich.

John A langley
02-10-2014, 7:57 PM
George do it all the time, enjoy your project

Bill McNiel
02-10-2014, 9:28 PM
Just did this on a desk with 1 1/16" rails and glue. Worked fine.

Rich Engelhardt
02-11-2014, 6:49 AM
I've run a bunch of pocket hole joints with just one screw and some glue.
As long as they aren't structural I don't think it matters.

Jim Andrew
02-11-2014, 7:52 AM
When I'm concerned about splitting a screw hole out using pocket screws, I use a hex head drill bit to make a hole in the piece receiving the threaded part of the screw. I just leave the drill bit laying on the bench near the screws, and pop it in my driver in place of the square drive bit, run a hole in and switch back to the driver and put the screw in. I also have better luck with the coarse screws than the fine thread. Even in harder woods.