PDA

View Full Version : The right tool for the job

Sam Murdoch
02-10-2014, 4:48 PM
I am trying come up with a plan for a cabinet top made up of 2 big leaf maple slabs. My plan includes overlapping one of these 1-1/8" thick slabs on top of the other and cutting through both at one time. I don't want a straight line - but an irregular pattern to mimic the irregular live edge. The idea is to cut so that both pieces will then fit side by side nice and tight. I might choose to glue them together but not sure. I'm still developing the idea of how to build.

The question is how would you do this? I have been thinking that this would be a good job for a Festool Carvex. I have yet to find a "saber saw" that could make such a deep cut in hard wood without super deflecting so I ask here if anyone else thinks that the Carvex idea is feasible.

I suppose I could use a router following a pattern - could cut each independently that way - but I think that could have its own issues.

Your thoughts please?

scott vroom
02-10-2014, 4:54 PM
How clean a cut do you require? A reciprocating saw with a long blade would allow you to cut through stacked slabs (2-1/4" total if I understand correctly).

Prashun Patel
02-10-2014, 5:04 PM
There was a good video on this kind of thing on FWW.

Basically, you make a router template from MDF. Then you route a channel in the wood using a spiral bit and the template as a guide. You don't have to go all the way through. You can cut down 1/2". Then you bandsaw through the channel. Finally, you use a flush trim or pattern bit to rout the bottom portion true. The bearing rides along the clean edge you establish with spiral bit/template.

You will lose the kerf of the router bit. That can affect minimally how the two halves fit together.

Sam Murdoch
02-10-2014, 5:25 PM
Which reciprocating saw is the question. My Bosch won't do it no matter what blade I use. I want a clean cut that can at least be sanded to create a nearly tight fit.

The bandsaw has merit. I was thinking about cutting in half and so the bandsaw not big enough but really I will be cutting only a portion of each outer edge.
Prashun you may have offered a real solution.

Still - any votes for the Carvex? Just curious as to its capabilities. This would certainly be a solid test.

Larry Edgerton
02-10-2014, 6:44 PM
Sam, sounds like you are looking for an excuse to buy a carvex. I've used them and they will deflect just like any other jig saw in thick stock. I use a Bosch and a fellow I work with has a Carvex, not enough difference in my book to justify the expense.

Me, just thinking off the top of my head, which still has hair by the way, gray, but hair, I would develop the pattern that I wanted on a piece of MDF, cut it out on the bandsaw, harden both edges with epoxy and lightly sand. Then I would transfer the patterns to the tops on their respective sides so that the ends worked out, rough cut to about 3/8" away with the Bosch, then use a large diameter top bearing pattern bit to clean up the mating surfaces on the top slabs, then slide them together with some Dominos or biscuits and glue.

Larry

Andrew Gold
02-10-2014, 7:24 PM
I'm with Larry on this one. I have the previous gen festool jigsaw, and have to say I should have kept my bosch I replaced it with... It deflects in thick stock about as much as any other nice jigsaw I've seen, I wouldn't reach for it to solve this issue.

Some sort of pattern routing seems like the perfect solution to this design.

Bill Orbine
02-10-2014, 7:39 PM
I think the use of a Carvex or any other jig saw will not result in the final glue joint type cut. That is, if your decision is to glue the slabs together. Whether it be straight or irregular. Off the top of my head (full head of hairs a couple grays), split MDF into two halves using router with straight bit and a guide pattern (especially if you're thinking some sort of irregular curvy cut). One half of the MDF is a guide template for first slab and the other half is for second slab. Then use a straight router bit WITH an offset bearing that offsets the cut 1/2 the diameter of the original bit used to split the template. That should match up a fairly nice mating joint for the two slabs.

Chris Parks
02-10-2014, 7:59 PM
I would stack one on top of the other, build a spacer to support the top slab and put it through the band saw. It might be a bit more complicated than that but the basic idea is there.

Pat Barry
02-10-2014, 8:22 PM
I like the method Prashun described. It sounds like a very effective method. If you were to apply this to two separate pieces of wood you would use the template to mark each edge, then use bandsaw or jig saw to rough cut to the line, then fix both pieces to a backer board (ex: 1/2" MDF). You could double back tape the boards to the backer with the template positioned onto one of the pieces, then, pattern route and finish as described by Prashun.

Ed Aumiller
02-10-2014, 9:06 PM
Probably dumb questions... are you going to use them in a vertical position or in a horizontal position (like a table)???
If in a vertical position, are they going to used as doors or the back of the cabinet with shelves in front of them ???
Are they completely dry ?? If not when placed in a house there is a good chance they will crack open...

To cut them to match, would do it like Prashun described..

Walter Plummer
02-10-2014, 9:20 PM
Get one of these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5LeKf2_C_w Made for timber framing. Around $1,000.00 Don't waste your money on a cheap Festool .

Bill McNiel
02-10-2014, 9:25 PM
Sam,
I do a fair amount of live edge work and Prashun's approach is pretty much what I use. Template for the initial cut, then jig saw rough separation and then flush trim with top bearing riding against the established edge to complete the cut.

Sam Murdoch
02-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks all - the template/router/bandsaw it will most likely be.

Larry, you are right I was scratching to justify a Carvex but just as glad to hear that I one won't improve my lot (or my work) -
but that Mafell PiCC - hmmm? :)

And - to Ed - horizontal tops and I won't mind if they crack, though they are going into a pretty fog bound environment.

Michael Dunn
02-10-2014, 10:53 PM
I just ordered the Carvex last month. After adjusting the blade guides I was able to get a better cut. However, I would not be confident using the Carvex for what you are planning.