PDA

View Full Version : A few Stanley 45 plane questions

Andy FitzGibbon
02-10-2014, 2:52 PM
Hi, this is my first post. I am not a woodworker per se, but I do a lot of work in wood, restoring turn-of-the-century banjos.

A friend gave me this Stanley 45 plane to sell. From what research I have done, it seems that it's a Type 4, and is mostly complete. The nicking blade is in place, and there are a couple extras stapled to the blade storage box. The rear depth gauge and slicing blade are missing. Anyone notice any other missing parts? Also, I'd appreciate any opinions on value- seems like they go for $150 or so on eBay.

Thanks,
Andy

Steve Rozmiarek
02-10-2014, 3:18 PM
Andy, you are missing the slitter, the cam stop and another stop for the skate. You have a less desirable model, it's cool, but it doesn't have the adjuster for the cutter or the screw adjustable fence. A few years back, it would have brought 150, but in todays market, it may not. Good set of cutters though. You don't have the original box by any chance?

Andy FitzGibbon
02-10-2014, 4:32 PM
No original box- everything is shown in the photos.

From what I've read online, it sounds like the cam stop was introduced just after this model- so it may not have had one originally. I did get the impression (again, from what I have read) that the newer ones are more desirable for actual use.

Thanks for the insights!
Andy

Jim Koepke
02-10-2014, 4:45 PM
I am not sure that type came with a second depth stop for the skate.

Also not sure if the type 4 came with short rods.

The cam stop didn't come along until 1901.

There are a few things that make this much nicer than the run of the mill type 4.

There is still a good amount of nickel plating on the thumb screws.

The box with the attached nickers on the box is sought by many collectors. Some collectors go nuts over the latches on the box compared to the newer boxes having spring clips on the ends.

This is the kind of thing I would list on ebay at a high "Buy It Now" price with an "Or Best Offer" option. My guess would be $250 as the high end. That could be low to some collectors. Remember it is always easier to come down from a high price than to go up once someone buys it.

Looking up past sales on ebay is not only confusing, it will take some time. My search cut out a lot of the false hits > stanley 45 -band -howard -electric -staple -brothers -single -kiss -rock < but still has over 2,000 listings.

jtk

Jim Koepke
02-10-2014, 4:48 PM
By the way Andy,

Welcome to the Creek. Your location isn't listed in your profile. If you live near me I would love to look at this gem and give it a test drive.

BTW, don't try cleaning or polishing this tool. That will lower the value to many collectors.

jtk

Andy FitzGibbon
02-10-2014, 6:42 PM
Hi Jim, thanks for all the information. I am in West Virginia.

Andy