PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Mahogany prices?

alex grams
02-10-2014, 1:35 PM
Has anyone else noticed a price drop in genuine (honduran) mahogany? I went to get about 20bf for some carving and the prices locally were down to about 6.70/bf of 4/4. A heck of a lot cheaper than the 10-11 I am used to seeing. I was curious if anyone knew a cause (less demand lately?)

Mel Fulks
02-10-2014, 2:44 PM
15 or 20 years ago it was about same price as n.e. White pine or sugar pine for a while. Lot of politics ,quotas,etc with mahogany. As long as you are buying by Latin name ,sounds like a good time to buy.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-10-2014, 3:26 PM
I think a significant amount of it is grown on plantations now so it's sustainable.

Peter Quinn
02-10-2014, 6:02 PM
Curious, I've heard of no such price drops in my area. Several yards have all but stopped carrying it, people largely won't pay the asking at close to $12/bf depending on width/length. I remember when they stopped carrying it the claim was Honduras was getting tight on supply quotas for legal wood, that was the last good harvesting area, they were reaching out to Boliva and Peru for supply but its a different part of the Amazon basin, quality was terrible even though its the same tree. Harder, less stable, more ugly, less dependable, at to the price, not many takers. Good stuff was still available, particularly in thicker material, but prices were harsher still. Sure would like to see that one make a come back!

Robert LaPlaca
02-10-2014, 7:39 PM
Haven't noticed any price drop either, in fact the last 150 bf of South American Mahogany I bought was very expensive, averaging somewhere about $13bf, the quality and the density of the wood was top flight..