PDA

View Full Version : Help! Laser engraver Issue!

Ruston Hill
02-10-2014, 12:06 PM
So I have a Gravograph LS900 80W CO2 that is 10 years old. I have never experienced this issue until now. Last week I started running a job like I normally do when I noticed vertical lines forming beside my engraving about 1/8 in away on each side. My settings were at 70 power, 80 speed, at 300 res. Today I have dropped the settings until I was at 10 power 10 speed and the lines have become more subtle, but I can still see them.
On another forum a friend mentioned the x axis belt could be loose. I just wanted a second opinion before I had a gravograph technician come out and have to spend $500 just for them to look at it. FYI, I just had the power supply replaced last year. Here is a picture of what it looks like. I am also attaching a tickle test for those familiar with it. I had it set to 3 which looks good, but didn't help. Then I dropped it down to 2 then 1. Still no luck. Hopefully someone can diagnose this issue.

thanks in advance.

Ross Moshinsky
02-10-2014, 12:33 PM
That's most likely not mechanical. Looks like an electrical/computer issue of some sort. I'm guessing a main control board is bad which is causing the laser to fire when it's not supposed to.

I'd call up Gravograph and have them quote out the pricing on how much those types of parts cost before having anyone come out.

Gary Hair
02-10-2014, 1:15 PM
It's most likely the tickle charge setting. Not sure how to adjust it on your laser but if you search here for "tickle charge" you'll likely find it. Caution - don't do a google search for that term, you may be shocked by the results...

Mike Null
02-10-2014, 1:42 PM
I agree with Gary. Years ago I had the issue on an Epilog and that's what it turned out to be.

Ruston Hill
02-10-2014, 2:32 PM
I wanted to let you know I think I found the solution. My lens was causing the problem. I didn't know it at the time because its in mint condition as far as what my eyes can see. I clean it every day. But I decided to grab my back up lens that has never been used to see what happens. Once I started using it the extra lines were gone even on my highest settings. I am not sure how this fixed the problem, but I am thankful I didn't have to spend more money. If anyone has an explanation for how this happened I would much appreciate it.

thank you for all the suggestions.

Mark Sipes
02-10-2014, 2:42 PM
Deleted,as problem appears to be solved

paul jeran
02-10-2014, 2:57 PM
I am not familiar with how the lens fits in your machine, but I had this happen once on mine and it ended up that the ring that secures the lens in place had loosened causing the lens to shift back and forth. It was driving me nuts trying to debug thinking that it was something in the mechanical system. Simple fix, tighten the retaining ring.

Glad you found the problem, getting to root cause is always a good feeling.

Dan Hintz
02-10-2014, 5:38 PM
I wanted to let you know I think I found the solution. My lens was causing the problem. I didn't know it at the time because its in mint condition as far as what my eyes can see. I clean it every day. But I decided to grab my back up lens that has never been used to see what happens. Once I started using it the extra lines were gone even on my highest settings. I am not sure how this fixed the problem, but I am thankful I didn't have to spend more money. If anyone has an explanation for how this happened I would much appreciate it.

thank you for all the suggestions.

Go back to your old lens and see if the problem resumes... if it does, the lens is loose in the holder. If it doesn't, the holder was loose in the carriage and you can still use it now that you've tightened it up.

Ruston Hill
02-10-2014, 5:56 PM
thanks for the tip. I ended up taking the lens out of its carriage with a special tool of course wearing latex gloves. I swabbed it several times to see if there might have been debris. I assembled it back just the way it was and tested.
There was a very subtle line on each side that I could barely see. So I guess your right and I will see if I can keep adjusting it until perfection is achieved. thanks again.