PDA

View Full Version : Are these ULS lens accessories worth it?

Don Corbeil
02-09-2014, 8:40 PM
I am looking at a pre owned VLS 6.60 ULS system that is being offered with an HPDFO lens kit, a collimator assembly, and a beam expander. Together, these additional optics accessories add up to a little over $3K in additional cost. I could leave them all out, or in part.
This would be my first laser purchase, and I would like to ask anyone familiar with these additional features if they are worth the extra cost to include. From what I've researched in other posts in this forum, they (working together) supposedly should offer an increased level of detail in engraving work, as well as the possibility of engraving directly to metal. I like the idea of having the ability get the finest engraving detail I can, but $3K is a lot for lens accessories, and without them included it would help keep the price down. Could similar results be achieved with other means, such as a different lens, or possibly just with the HPDFO accessory? If they are really worth it, I could see doing it, but if it's overkill...
I am new to all of these laser features, so any input is appreciated.

Scott Shepherd
02-09-2014, 9:08 PM
Hi Don, that's a nice machine! I can't tell you if it's worth it for you, but for me, it's not. The problem I have with it is that it makes the spot size smaller. Super small. I think around .001" in diameter. What happens there are 2 things, 1, you lose focal length. Where a 2" lens gives you the ability to be out of focus +-.06" or so, that lens won't let you be out of focus much at all. So that means everything you do has to be dead flat, and very few materials, especially larger ones, come dead flat. If your material isn't flat, it will go out of focus in the high spots, making a blurry image. I don't like that part of it.

The 2nd point is that if the beam is so small, you can't send the file over with a 500 dpi because it'll have gaps. So you have to send jobs over at higher resolutions. Higher resolutions mean a LOT more time. While you might be greater detail on really really intricate work, you will also have to charge a small fortune for it because it'll be more expensive to run.

My personal opinion is that it's an awesome feature, but you really have to have a need for it because most general work people post in here wouldn't benefit from it at all.

If I were buying a machine today, it wouldn't have the HPDFO on it, but that's just me. You might have a need for it, I don't know your plans.

Dave Sheldrake
02-10-2014, 5:23 AM
I'm with Scotty for all the same reasons. Great if you *need* the unit but an expensive toy if you don't.

cheers

Dave

Mike Null
02-10-2014, 9:03 AM
I share Steve and Dave's position as well.

Don Corbeil
02-10-2014, 9:46 AM
This is helpful, and leads to a clarifying question: Do these three components all work dependently on each other? In other words, does the HPDFO lens require the collimator and beam expander to work?

Scott Shepherd
02-10-2014, 10:14 AM
This is helpful, and leads to a clarifying question: Do these three components all work dependently on each other? In other words, does the HPDFO lens require the collimator and beam expander to work?

The HPDFO lens doesn't work without them, but you can install the collimator and not use the HPDFO lens.

Dave Sheldrake
02-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Collimator: Straightens the beam to reduce divergence (can add to beam profile quality even if no HPDFO is used)
Beam Expander: Expands the beam based on the bigger diameter going in to the final lens the smaller the spot size at the cutting point. (will give a smaller spot size with standard lens's)

cheers

Dave

Don Corbeil
02-10-2014, 12:46 PM
From these replies and previous threads on this topic, I begin to get the impression that the HPDFO ($1600+) may not be of great value except in very specific & extremely detailed work. Now I'm not sure I'm hearing this correctly, but it seems that a collimator does increase the quality of the beam, regardless of the lens used. Does purchasing the collimator ($600) seem like a reasonable accessory that would add to beam quality when I needed it, regardless of lens size?

Scott Shepherd
02-10-2014, 12:48 PM
From these replies and previous threads on this topic, I begin to get the impression that the HPDFO ($1600+) may not be of great value except in very specific & extremely detailed work. Now I'm not sure I'm hearing this correctly, but it seems that a collimator does increase the quality of the beam, regardless of the lens used. Does purchasing the collimator ($600) seem like a reasonable accessory that would add to beam quality when I needed it, regardless of lens size?

I have the collimator on my machine and I see zero difference in the engraving quality.

Don Corbeil
02-10-2014, 1:19 PM
I have the collimator on my machine and I see zero difference in the engraving quality.

copy that.
thanks for all your input, scott.

Dave Sheldrake
02-10-2014, 4:32 PM
Scotty is right Don, while the profile will improve it may not be noticeable until you get to the nth degree. That said they are hard to set up properly as a retrofit so if the $600 isn't outside of easy budget it may be worth having it just to future proof. It will make a difference but as mentioned, possibly not one that you will see in all circumstances.

cheers

Dave