PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln SP100 Welder odor

Mac McQuinn
02-09-2014, 6:53 PM
I own a Lincoln SP100 purchased new in 1991. It's been a great machine with no issues up til now.
A few months ago I noticed a odd odor when walking past it in the garage, not particularly nasty although It caught my attention. I've been using a C25 mix with this and checked the tank connections which were tight. I questioned the tank itself so I took this in and tank was shipped out for testing. It took awhile although checked out OK. While the tank was gone, I could still smell the odor although perhaps 50% of what it was originally. I looked over the rubber gas line and decided to replace it due to age, questioning if the rubber was degrading. I picked up a new line although after original line was removed, I could still detect a bit of an odor at back of welder where line and exhaust fan vents are. Due to the age and my heavy use of the welder, I'm wondering now if something electrical has dried up, giving off a smell. The last time I used it heavily was years ago and I was running Flux Core wire on a big project. The duty cycle was getting pushed hard although machine ran perfectly with no issues. I ran it some after this although with C25 and regular wire. It ran fine, producing very nice welds.

I've sold my tank so can't really fully test it for function although when welder is turned on with internal fan running, the smell is a bit stronger.
I plan on giving the welder to my son as I'm changing welding processes so I want to make sure it is safe to use.
Any suggestions or experiences?

Mac

Mac McQuinn
02-17-2014, 3:12 PM
I've taken the SP100 wire welder in to a Lincoln service facility. They are going to check the electrics out thoroughly, clean the area cooled by fan and hopefully nothing too drastic is wrong. They mentioned the possibility of a blown/leaking capacitor or even a dead critter inside, something is causing the smell. It will be interesting to get the results, will post this when I get it back.
Mac

Mac McQuinn
03-25-2014, 3:30 PM
I finally picked this up from the repair facility and the problem was a pin was pulled slightly out of it's socket on circuit board. There was tell/tale arcing marks which was evidently causing the smell. Running fine now, actually better than ever. Went to a new home this weekend, now I can concentrate on purchasing a replacement. :D
Mac

I've taken the SP100 wire welder in to a Lincoln service facility. They are going to check the electrics out thoroughly, clean the area cooled by fan and hopefully nothing too drastic is wrong. They mentioned the possibility of a blown/leaking capacitor or even a dead critter inside, something is causing the smell. It will be interesting to get the results, will post this when I get it back.
Mac

Keith Outten
03-26-2014, 1:38 AM
Mac,

Its good to hear that you have resolved the problem with your Lincoln welder. Now that your shopping for a new machine what are you considering?

Mac McQuinn
03-26-2014, 4:19 PM
Keith,
I'm looking at the Millers right now, specifically the Multimatic 200. I'm not sure why although my (3) local dealers don't stock this model for some reason. I'd like to get up close and personal with it and inspect/test one. I'd like to stick with a USA made product and something consumables & parts are available for. I do have some concerns about the newer machines and the modern electrics concern me as far as durability goes. While the older machines like my old SP were not as capable perhaps, they were so simple, the durability was there.
Mac

Mac,

Its good to hear that you have resolved the problem with your Lincoln welder. Now that your shopping for a new machine what are you considering?

Keith Outten
03-26-2014, 6:52 PM
Mac,

I bought a Miller Multimatic 200 last year for my sign shop. I have only used it a few times to stick weld some small jobs, so far so good. I don't think the Multimatic 200 is a workhorse welding machine that you would use to weld all day long. It does have some very nice features for a multi-process machine and it seems perfect for a small shop. The inverter style power supply is very smooth when stick welding, a huge improvement over my old buzz box.

I have some Mig welding to do next week and I hope the machine works as well as it does when stick welding.

Mac McQuinn
03-26-2014, 8:20 PM
Keith,
Thanks for the input. I believe the Multimatic is DC stick, was your buzz box AC? My experience through the years is DC tends to run smoother overall. I like the inverter technology for weight savings. If you would, let me know how the Mig set-up runs?
thanks, Mac

Mac,

I bought a Miller Multimatic 200 last year for my sign shop. I have only used it a few times to stick weld some small jobs, so far so good. I don't think the Multimatic 200 is a workhorse welding machine that you would use to weld all day long. It does have some very nice features for a multi-process machine and it seems perfect for a small shop. The inverter style power supply is very smooth when stick welding, a huge improvement over my old buzz box.

I have some Mig welding to do next week and I hope the machine works as well as it does when stick welding.

Ryan Baker
03-26-2014, 8:23 PM
I have an SP100, and it has been a very durable and dependable unit over the years for appropriate smaller jobs. But I expect to get it some company as soon as possible -- in the form of a Miller Dynasty 200DX. :) I wasn't terribly impressed with the Multimatic. Nothing wrong with it, but it just isn't the right fit for my uses.

Mac McQuinn
03-27-2014, 4:55 PM
Ryan,
While I use to do it for a living and carry the certifications in Tig and Stick, I'm a hobby welder now with a shrinking pension/benefits package. That said, my pockets aren't deep enough for a Dynasty. I handed down my 23 year old SP100 to my son this past weekend whom will put it through the paces I'm sure. So now I'm looking for a new welder that will give me the capabilities to weld using multiple processes. I might have to travel a bit to a larger metro area in order to actually test drive a few different welders although that's more fun than duty to me.;)
Mac

I have an SP100, and it has been a very durable and dependable unit over the years for appropriate smaller jobs. But I expect to get it some company as soon as possible -- in the form of a Miller Dynasty 200DX. :) I wasn't terribly impressed with the Multimatic. Nothing wrong with it, but it just isn't the right fit for my uses.