PDA

View Full Version : Just a test fit

steven c newman
02-09-2014, 5:39 PM
A while back, was asking about grooves. Well a few did get made. Also have a few raised panels to fit in them. Panels were raised using just a #4 handplane, ala P. Sellers. Rest of the wood is Black Walnut282104This is for the end of the chest. Front will be all Walnut, both will be built the same way. Back panel looks like it will be a Walnut top rail, but the rest will be Pine. A flat walnut lid needs to get done, as well.

IF I can get a few days off from work ( at my "day" job) i might get something else done...282105282106Maybe do a few more of these, for practice???

steven c newman
02-10-2014, 4:21 PM
Test fit wasn't that great. There is a gap where the rails meet the stiles. Tenons do not bottom out, so it must be the raised panels. There is a rebate on the backs of the panels, may have to deepen that a bit.

Letting the store-bought Pine season a bit, before I use it. Looks like the grooves will need a bit more work. Need to be more in the center. Corner joints will not be anything "fancy", just counter-bored screws with plugs to cover them. Might even use some Maple ones, for a bit more contrast. Have some white oak to make rails for a few trays to slide on. Have some old pine V-groove pine for the floor of the chest.

Still need a few days from work, just to work on this "box' a while, MIGHT yet get it done......this year????

David Weaver
02-10-2014, 4:24 PM
MIGHT yet get it done......this year????

Welcome to the club. I have a whole kitchen full of cabinets that seems to be going like that!! Overthick wood (6/4) and kids sleeping above the shop limiting when I can mitigate the issue.

It's like driving. As long as the car is moving, you're making process. Wrong turns happen!