PDA

View Full Version : Old Masters Gel Polyurethane

Phil Thien
02-09-2014, 4:56 PM
Anyone use the Old Masters line of finishing supplies? I'm sort of interested in the Gel Polyurethane. It seems like it would be a nice way to finish some projects. Right now I use a lot of wipe-on varnish (Formby's, believe it or not). It works well, but sometimes for a project like a small occasional table it will run or drip w/o me noticing in time.

Old Master's, General Finishes, and now Rockler seem to offer oil-based gen polyurethanes. My local hardware store carries the Old Masters, which is convenient.

Opinions welcome.

Rich Engelhardt
02-10-2014, 3:48 PM
I'm curious about it myself.
The local lumber yard carries it & I've read good things about it.

Prashun Patel
02-10-2014, 4:00 PM
Hi Phil. Due respect, if you're getting drips with wipe on varnish, you're applying it too thick. While there are many 'right' ways to apply Wipe on varnish, the foolproofiest way to avoid drips, sags, and dust nibs is to wipe it on liberally, then use a dry rag to wipe is around until it just leaves a slick surface - not an appreciable 'layer'. This way takes more coats but gives (IMHO) more control over the final build thickness.

Gel varnish is fine, but your drip symptoms don't require a new pill, just a different dose of your current medicine.

Phil Thien
02-10-2014, 4:54 PM
Hi Phil. Due respect, if you're getting drips with wipe on varnish, you're applying it too thick. While there are many 'right' ways to apply Wipe on varnish, the foolproofiest way to avoid drips, sags, and dust nibs is to wipe it on liberally, then use a dry rag to wipe is around until it just leaves a slick surface - not an appreciable 'layer'. This way takes more coats but gives (IMHO) more control over the final build thickness.

Gel varnish is fine, but your drip symptoms don't require a new pill, just a different dose of your current medicine.

Yeah but sometimes on a piece with a lot of stuff going on, I'll find a spot where the thinner wiping varnish pooled or snuck around a corner, and it can look like carp. I TRY to wipe all surfaces down, but I'm only human.

I'm hoping the gel varnish will give me the best of both worlds: Easy to apply, no pooling or running, and fast build. The reviews on the Rockler stuff are very favorable, with a few people saying two coats provides a nice result. That would be a welcome change from the 4+ coats I often apply of the thin wiping varnish.

I think I've decided to try the Rockler stuff just because I'm scared the stuff on the shelf at the hardware store may be older, and because the reviews of the Rockler product are favorable.

I need a Rockler coupon for in-store use.

John TenEyck
02-10-2014, 8:42 PM
I have used GF's Gel Topcoat on a few projects and liked it well enough until water caused damage on one of them. That prompted some testing, and I found it had the poorest durability of anything I tested besides shellac. GF's Arm-R-Seal wiping varnish is far, far superior in resistance to nearly any chemical and/or heat.

John

Phil Thien
02-10-2014, 8:59 PM
I have used GF's Gel Topcoat on a few projects and liked it well enough until water caused damage on one of them. That prompted some testing, and I found it had the poorest durability of anything I tested besides shellac. GF's Arm-R-Seal wiping varnish is far, far superior in resistance to nearly any chemical and/or heat.

John

Yikes, that doesn't sound good.

John TenEyck
02-11-2014, 1:37 PM
Yikes, that doesn't sound good.

I don't know if Old Masters product is of the same ilk as GF's, but I won't use the GF one anymore. Arm-R-Seal is easier to use overall, comes in satin, SG, and gloss, is a much clearer finish, and is far more durable. What little benefit the Gel Topcoat offered in preventing runs is incidental in comparison.