PDA

View Full Version : Wedding present: cherry burl salt & pepper shakers

David A. Peterson
02-09-2014, 9:43 AM
My step-son finally pulled the trigger at 32 and is getting married. I made him and his fiance a cherry burl bowl to celebrate the engagement, so the wedding present is a salt & pepper set, also out of cherry burl. The shakers are drop-in inserts from Rockler. total height is 3 1/4". Sanded to 2000 grit. Finish is one coat of Lin-Speed finish.

Brian Holcombe
02-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Those are spectacular!

Marc Himes
02-09-2014, 3:13 PM
I like those. They look nicer than the ones which just have the glue in tops and rubber stopper bottoms.

David A. Peterson
02-09-2014, 5:36 PM
The chrome plastic top screws onto a clear plastic bottle that is then glued into the recess. a 1" hole is drilled to accomodate it. easy-cheesy!

Michelle Rich
02-10-2014, 6:31 AM
those would look good on anyone's table. the wood is lovely and the shape looks pleasing. Just know the salt will eat the chrome, over time. Next time you might want to go with stainless steel or such.

David A. Peterson
02-11-2014, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE= Just know the salt will eat the chrome, over time. Next time you might want to go with stainless steel or such.[/QUOTE]

It is plastic. just shiny plastic that looks like chrome. It is the only kind I could find that was not metal. It attaches to a plastic bottle that is glued into a 1" hole in the wood.

Duane Meadows
02-11-2014, 8:14 AM
Most I've seen are chrome-plated plastic. Still should last a long time, though.

Gus Dundon
02-12-2014, 2:46 PM
Those look great! I like the wood and finish. Nice turning!

Stan Smith
02-12-2014, 3:14 PM
That burl is really nice. Lucky couple to get that for a gift.

Michael Poorman
02-14-2014, 2:26 PM
David,

I really like the S&P shakers. Good job on the subtle burn line to tell salt from pepper. You were thinking ahead there!

Mark Andrew
02-15-2014, 10:25 AM
They look great, lovely color! But shouldn't the single hole lid be on the salt, and the multi hole lid be on the pepper? (Assuming the black line indicates pepper).

David A. Peterson
02-15-2014, 2:11 PM
They look great, lovely color! But shouldn't the single hole lid be on the salt, and the multi hole lid be on the pepper? (Assuming the black line indicates pepper).

There is a great debate among salt & pepper shaker collectors as to which one is used for salt and which for pepper. the nice thing about this, is the tops are interchangeable, so the happy couple can decide for themselves. If they use more salt than pepper, they stay this way. If they use more pepper than salt....switch 'em!