PDA

View Full Version : Snow and Maple bowls

Jim Seyfried
02-09-2014, 7:22 AM
It seems like most of the time I'm removing snow.
Occasionally I get to play on the pond.
But I did find time to finish a few bowls. I like the wood of these maple bowls; they are finished with Danish oil. The rims are undercut but both are still about 1/2" thick. This one is about 10" x 3 1/2"
This one is about 9" x 2 1/2"…it won't hold soup, too many worm holes. :)

Bill Hensley
02-09-2014, 9:05 AM
I like the bowls but can't say anything nice about that much snow. At least you found a way to entertain yourself outside.

Doug Herzberg
02-09-2014, 9:26 AM
Nice curve on the foot of the larger one.

Lee Koepke
02-09-2014, 11:54 AM
I too like the foot on the first one. very creative! For some reason, I have been drawn to thicker bowls lately, I like the weight/feel of the thicker versions. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Engle
02-09-2014, 2:11 PM
I agree with Doug and Lee, the foot on the big one is spot on..

though I am not happy with the spell chek as it slows down typing.....how to turn it off ?

Jim Seyfried
02-10-2014, 8:47 AM
Thanks for the comments. A few months ago I finally took the time to set up a vacuum chuck and it has really helped finishing the bottom. The larger one was centered so well in the vacuum chuck when I was finishing the foot I left a step in it. I think many people like thicker bowls. My brother once asked me why I was trying to make bowls so thin, was it a wood turner thing to see if you can? and said that he liked the thicker ones. I try make some bowls thin, probably more with NE ones, but I don't think they all have to be thin.

Paul Engle
02-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the comments. A few months ago I finally took the time to set up a vacuum chuck and it has really helped finishing the bottom. The larger one was centered so well in the vacuum chuck when I was finishing the foot I left a step in it. I think many people like thicker bowls. My brother once asked me why I was trying to make bowls so thin, was it a wood turner thing to see if you can? and said that he liked the thicker ones. I try make some bowls thin, probably more with NE ones, but I don't think they all have to be thin.

I agree with the thicker bowl scheme. The thinner ones are nice for working on technique , but the thicker ones tend not to crack when dropped ... and I like the heft and feel of a more solid mass as my XYL likes to use them every chance she gets .