PDA

View Full Version : Drive spur question

Jamey Amrine
06-16-2005, 8:43 AM
I am building a treadle lathe, and am trying to figure out what to do about a drive spur. The driven shaft on the lathe will be 5/8", and ideally, I would like to thread it to accept any headstock accessories. I know I can get faceplates and chucks that fit a 5/8" thread, but can drive centers be purchased that are female-threaded rather than on a morse taper? A thread size of more than 5/8" would be fine because I can make an adapter.

I am kind of a newbie to the turning thing, so be kind. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowsmile.gif

-Jamey

Mike Ramsey
06-16-2005, 9:06 AM
Jamey, might be hard to find..It seems that 1 1/2" thru 3/4" female adapters are easily found but i could not find any for 5/8". I'm sure someone here will help you though.

Jamey Amrine
06-16-2005, 9:43 AM
I have a machinist friend who could whip out a 5/8" to 1" thread adapter. Do you know of a drive spur that fits a 1" thread?

-Jamey

Gary Max
06-16-2005, 1:08 PM
Jamey why not just start out with a 1 inch shaft and you are ready to go???

Jamey Amrine
06-16-2005, 1:12 PM
Already have the bearings for the 5/8" shaft. :(

I did discover that the Shopsmith uses a 5/8" drive spur for a plain shaft. It it held with a set screw.

I would not have thought that would work, but in the case of a treadle, I am guessing I can't generate enough torque to cause a problem. I could put a flat spot on the shaft for the set screw too. I would also be able to use the Shopsmith face plate.

I guess maybe I have solved my own issue.

-Jamey

Keith Nielsen
06-16-2005, 3:41 PM
Jamey,

Maybe this might be thinking outside the box a little but, what about this thought. Ask yourself why do you need a drive spur? You stated you could get a chuck that fits right? Oneway has a spur that will fit inside the chuck. you just clamp the chuck down on the spur and there you have it, instant center spur no tommy bar required. Ever since I bought my removable spur for my oneway stronghold chuck I never use my #2 drive spur anymore.

I don't know it this would help but might give you a direction to try.

good luck
Keith

Richard Allen
06-16-2005, 8:05 PM
Hi Jamey

ShopSmith uses a plain 5/8" shaft. This is to say that many accessories are availble for the ShopSmith, chuck adaptors, spur drives...

In other words don't thread the spindle.

Good Luck

Richard