PDA

View Full Version : Veritas aluminum straightedge curved is normal?

Marko Milisavljevic
02-08-2014, 8:46 PM
Just picked up Veritas 38" aluminum straightedge this afternoon, and when laid on its side, one end is lifted 1/16" from table surface (the table verifies as flat with the same straightedge). Maybe it doesn't make it not functional, but it is kind of annoying to have it so noticeably curved, when other long aluminum extrusions I have on hand (4' Kreg combo track, or Stanley 4' level) seem straight in all dimensions within 1/128". In addition there is a minor 5" scratch/gouge along top edge, making me wonder if someone or something bent it while it was handled in the factory.

I'm hoping to hear from others whether this is the norm or exception with this particular straightedge, so I can decide whether to return it or ask for exchange.

David Wong
02-08-2014, 8:55 PM
If you are talking about the black aluminum straight edge (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=50074&cat=1,240,45313), then it should not be curved. I have one and it is flat.

Larry Frank
02-08-2014, 9:03 PM
I have the same one and it is flat. I store it in the card board tube it came in and am very careful handling it. It has been a great tool for me.

johnny means
02-08-2014, 9:09 PM
Take it back, now. I'm definitively not one of those precision geeks, but that ones got top many issues.

Dick Mahany
02-08-2014, 9:46 PM
I have one. Going on 7 yrs old. Flat and straight to this day. Perhaps yours got machined during the "Polar Vortex" and somehow got distorted. Just call them, they are a class act and known for customer satisfaction.....good folks and I would expect them to exchange it no questions asked!

Frederick Skelly
02-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Mine is flat too, Marko. Id ask them to exchange it.

Jason White
02-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Maybe the table is warped??

Just picked up Veritas 38" aluminum straightedge this afternoon, and when laid on its side, one end is lifted 1/16" from table surface (the table verifies as flat with the same straightedge). Maybe it doesn't make it not functional, but it is kind of annoying to have it so noticeably curved, when other long aluminum extrusions I have on hand (4' Kreg combo track, or Stanley 4' level) seem straight in all dimensions within 1/128". In addition there is a minor 5" scratch/gouge along top edge, making me wonder if someone or something bent it while it was handled in the factory.

I'm hoping to hear from others whether this is the norm or exception with this particular straightedge, so I can decide whether to return it or ask for exchange.

Andy Pratt
02-09-2014, 1:09 AM
I have the steel one from them and it is 100% square/planar in every way I have tested it. I don't think it should be bowed, and you would be right to return it.

Marko Milisavljevic
02-09-2014, 1:43 AM
Maybe the table is warped??

My 24" steel straight edge says it is flat, and the Veritas straightedge too says it is flat (along the ground aluminum side). It is just quite bowed in the other dimension. Easy enough to get it exchanged, they are unfortunately only 15 minutes away.

Larry Frank
02-09-2014, 8:39 PM
I am certain that they will take care of it.

I am fortunate as I live a long ways from them. If I went into their showroom, I would be in a great deal of trouble.

Marko Milisavljevic
02-13-2014, 2:21 PM
To close the loop on this... I went back to the store to exchange it. Replacement lifts up just a wee bit (I'm just eyeballing it to be under 2 sheets of paper thick) when laid on its side. Better than good enough and far better than the first sample.

Bruce Page
02-13-2014, 2:50 PM
I'm curious – did you check the original straight edge against the new one? I laid mine down on it’s side against the table of my milling machine and there was a slight wobble. As long as the business edge is flat I don’t care if the extrusion is bowed 1/16”.