PDA

View Full Version : Pen Maker's Gloat... Swelled Head Time.. LOL

Tom Mullane
06-16-2005, 8:15 AM
I just got an email from the gentleman that purchased the Gold Amboyna Burl Jr Gent seen below from me for $150...
I may never be able to wear a hat again... :p
But BOY am I one happy camper.. :D:D:D:D:D

http://www.penturners.org/forum/albums/Old%20Griz/GoldAmboynaJrGentRB.jpg
"I received last evening the pen that you sent...it is absolutely beautiful! You are correct that the coloration of the burl is really stunning and the finish is exceptional. I have spent far more for many of my pens from makers such as Cartier, Visconti, Waldmann, Aurora and Mont Blanc, however, I must tell you that the quality and beauty of this pen equals or surpasses anything else in my collection!"

Jim Becker
06-16-2005, 8:51 AM
Ah...an opportunity to raise your price the next time he buys!!! ;) (Congratulations on those wonderful comments from your customer...they are certainly deserved...that's an awesome looking pen!)

Jeff Sudmeier
06-16-2005, 8:55 AM
Tom, congrats on the wonderful sale! That pen is well worth the price paid to that man! :)

Ernie Nyvall
06-16-2005, 6:54 PM
Congratulations Tom. What a great and earned letter. It is beautiful and as Jim mentioned, he did leave that wide open for a price hike... almost like he expects it.

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
06-16-2005, 8:10 PM
Tom, where do you buy wood like that?

Ernie

Ron Jones near Indy
06-16-2005, 8:18 PM
Tom,
Beautiful pen! What a great compliment. And I, too, an curious about the answer to Ernie's question.

Jim Stastny
06-16-2005, 9:20 PM
Tom,

Good for you! Now spend that money wisely ;)

Jason Solodow
06-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Absolutely gorgeous pen! I'd like to know how you finished it, or is that a secret? :cool:

Ed Scolforo
06-17-2005, 6:23 AM
Tom: That's a beauty! I love Amboyna. Congrats!
Ed

Tom Mullane
06-17-2005, 7:54 AM
Ernie and Ron, I got that piece of wood in a trade with another pen turner, but I do find some nice stuff on eBay occassionally... there are only 2-3 sellers there I deal with that I trust to give me really really good burls...

Jason, The finish on that pen was sanding to 1200 grit, then 2 coats of cellulose sanding sealer sanded to 8000 Micro Mesh followed by 6 coats of gloss lacquer allowed to cure for 6 days then sanded from 4000-12000 MicroMesh followed by Mequires AntiSwirl cream polish and then a coat of Rennaissance Wax...
I just got some Enduro Gloss Poly that I am testing and I think that I may replace the lacquer with the Enduro, the gloss is as high and I it will only take 2 days instead of 6 days to wait until I buff it out...

Matthew Poeller
06-17-2005, 9:39 AM
Tom,

I was searching online and was not able to find anything but where did you get that kit from??

Tom Mullane
06-17-2005, 10:26 AM
That is a Jr Gent from http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com
I also use the Baron kits from http://www.arizonasilhouette.com
Both are high class kits but the Baron comes in a lot more platings...

Roy Wall
06-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Tom - that is just fantastic; beautiful work.......

And well worth the price!! Great job!!

Dawn Sunkle
06-17-2005, 1:32 PM
Congrats Tom!!
That is one beautiful pen. You deserve the great letter and compliments for such great work.

Dawn